Seagate Purchases Controlling Interest in LaCie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Soon, we will have complete duopoly at all stages in the HDD market, from manufacturer of barebones HDD to external HDD makers. Taiwan flood loss has been used by these companies (WD and Seagate) to gouge a lot of money from the world.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Oh come on people. Next you'll be suggesting that there was a conspiracy theory that caused the floods in the first place. You do realise that in nearly all technology there are only a very few companies that actually manufacture the products? Nearly all TV LCD and Plasma panels are made by only 5 major companies. The rest of the companies just use their panels and then relabel the badge.
The CPU and GPU market has long proved that for development you only need 2 companies to compete...

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Soon, we will have complete duopoly at all stages in the HDD market, from manufacturer of barebones HDD to external HDD makers. Taiwan flood loss has been used by these companies (WD and Seagate) to gouge a lot of money from the world.[/citation]

Umm, in less than 5 years, the HDD market will be nearly nil. SSDs should be well into the mainstream by then.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Umm, in less than 5 years, the HDD market will be nearly nil. SSDs should be well into the mainstream by then.[/citation]

no

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Let me guess - less competition = higher prices as usual, right?[/citation]
With Seagate it means lower quality as well.

Lacie uses Seagate drives anyways or whatever is the cheapest for them. They make fancy cases and charge 4x as much it. They're big among Apple Fanboi's. They have to pull out their Lacie-external drive, likes its some big special drive to show off in a shiny case when really it's just an off the shelf HD in a case. Makes me laugh every time I see someone with one.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
LaCie does make a few other peripherals that aren't HDD based. I wonder if the new Seagate will continue making those things, make them and continue the LaCie badging, or stop all that stuff all together?

[citation][nom]vsams14[/nom]Great. Less competition, higher prices, and lower quality. Soon we'll be forced to use WD or Seagate...[/citation]

What do think is inside of a Lacie drive to begin with? They don't make their own drives, they buy a seagate/wd drive, shove it in a fancy case, charge 4x as much to smug apple fanboi's who think they have a "lacie" harddrive because they paid 4x as much for it.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
This will have no effect on competition. LaCie is a niche market provider.
It is like Ford motors owning Land Rover, Volvo, and Jaguar. Do you think differently about those brands after knowing Ford owns them?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]This will have no effect on competition. LaCie is a niche market provider. It is like Ford motors owning Land Rover, Volvo, and Jaguar. Do you think differently about those brands after knowing Ford owns them?[/citation]
I wasn't a big fan of them, but now I understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.