Seagate Releases Firmware to Fix HDD Bricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I bought a 500gig SATA drive from Seagate that went bad after a few weeks, and sent it to Seagate under warrenty. They sent me a PATA drive in return. I'll never buy Seagate again. Too bad they bought Maxtor, I liked Maxtor, but I won't buy them, either.

G

SEAGATE IS NOT PROVIDING FREE DATA RECOVERY! read what drives owners
were told, just read at seagate forums! all they saying is the date is safe but not accessible, problem is you can fix it with a firmware upadte since the driver is not seen in BIOS.. to be continued.......

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I posted this update in a previous thread:

Seagate has released new firmware ISO's for effected HDD's. See this Seagate Knowledge Base article: Firmware Update for ... ST3500320AS, ST3500620AS, ST3500820AS, ST3640330AS, ST3640530AS, ST3750330AS, ST3750630AS, ST31000340AS [207951]

Please note that these updates appear to be drive specific and are ISO files. You will need to create a bootable CD to update the appropriate firmware. Seagate has included instructions on How to burn an .iso image onto a CD [201431]

Note that Alex Feinman’s ISO Recorder (Freeware) is the only free burning software they mention, but I believe you would be successful using the excellent (and free) ImgBurn version: 2.4.2.0. Just follow the instructions for creating a bootable disc from an ISO file.

Hope this helps.

RE: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/6867-55-seagate-firmware-update-bricking-functional-drives-update

G

Does anyone remember "Sticktion"? I had a Dell server that ran non-stop for three+ years with 5x 36gb Seagate 7200 RPM drives. I powered the unit down to move it into a new cabinet - power up and four of the five drives would not spin up. As an Internet provider with 15 thousand email accounts on the system, I completely freaked out ! I was able to get the drives started again by hefting the server in my arms and giving it a firm twist while pushing the power button.

Boy, did I have some nice words for Seagate support ! Up side - the drives ran another 5 years around the clock without a problem, you just had to juggle the server when the power was cycled. - Oh, and Seagate sent me brand new drives and did not ask for the old ones back for my trouble.

There is a reason that Seagate rules the HD world.

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
They are a day too late. After I noticed Western Digital was offering 5 year warranties on thier drives, I purchased one from them hoping to have better luck.

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
[citation][nom]g0rilla[/nom]They are a day too late. After I noticed Western Digital was offering 5 year warranties on thier drives, I purchased one from them hoping to have better luck.[/citation]

Did you get paid $0.65 to write that, pal?

Tiger King

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
hey guys i have a question,
i have a pair of seagate barracuda 7200.11 500GB drives that i bought back in december, to replace a broken MaxLine Pro 500GB drive.. i bought them because of seeing tons and tons of positive reviews about them.. sadly, right after i bought them, bad posts about failing drives started showing up.. my model number is ST3500320AS. they are in a RAID0 configuration on intel's ICHR9. they have not failed yet, my great concern is should i opt for the firmware upgrade released today, to leave it alone until they do fail, or maybe they never fail at all??

Tiger King

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
[citation][nom]Tiger King[/nom]hey guys i have a question,i have a pair of seagate barracuda 7200.11 500GB drives that i bought back in december, to replace a broken MaxLine Pro 500GB drive.. i bought them because of seeing tons and tons of positive reviews about them.. sadly, right after i bought them, bad posts about failing drives started showing up.. my model number is ST3500320AS. they are in a RAID0 configuration on intel's ICHR9. they have not failed yet, my great concern is should i opt for the firmware upgrade released today, "or" to leave it alone until they do fail, or maybe they never fail at all??[/citation]

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Well, at least they got a fix out. Even though they took far longer than they should have if you ask me.

I have always had good luck with WD, Seagate drives just don't perform as well in my experience.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Tiger King[/nom]hey guys i have a question,i have a pair of seagate barracuda 7200.11 500GB drives that i bought back in december, to replace a broken MaxLine Pro 500GB drive.. i bought them because of seeing tons and tons of positive reviews about them.. sadly, right after i bought them, bad posts about failing drives started showing up.. my model number is ST3500320AS. they are in a RAID0 configuration on intel's ICHR9. they have not failed yet, my great concern is should i opt for the firmware upgrade released today, to leave it alone until they do fail, or maybe they never fail at all??[/citation]

Wait a few days and see what people have to say about the firmware update. The last one Seagate release actually provoked the problem.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Seagate needs to be cheaper than other HDD maker after this as I am not buying Seagate at the same price.

I bought two 7200.11 1.5TB drives at $199 each and they are retailing for $110 after four months while still remaining the biggest drive.

Alan G Archer

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I flashed my Thailand-built ST3500320AS yesterday evening with the new firmware. No issues so far. The drive as now seen 4,027 power-on hours of service.

Nero 8 Essentials was used to create the boot CD.

G

I never liked Maxtor.
Maxtors costed perhaps $25 less than seagates, but when I bought maxtors between 2000 and 2005, all of them lasted no longer than 2,5 years (some dying after 1 year when warranty expired)!

I bought a seagate baracuda 250GB about 4 years ago,and that one is still working fine today!

This made me decide never to buy a maxtor again!
I'm glad this article mentioned Seagate bought maxtor; Now I'll probably only go with Western Digital.

G

Time to offer 5 year warranty again...
why did they go back to 3 years???

G

I've been running an external Seagate 1.5TB drive since December when it was purchased with no issues. I'm waiting for this to get all settled before I try flashing the drive.

Astara

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Both 750GB drives I had fail this month were 7200.10, not 7200.11.

They both refuse to be seen by the BIOS. I have noticed that my hard drives' longevity has dropped significantly since the purchase of MAXTOR. Did Seagate start dropping in MAXTOR quality disks into their Desktop disks? Supposedly, I thought MAXTOR was going to be released at a lower price point and with a shorter warranty (3 year instead of 5). But I haven't had any of these drives last more than a year yet.

I'm going crazy, since I haven't had great luck with WD drives either -- admittedly, it was a small sample size, but I tried a 1TB green drive and it was DOA. Since I live about 40 miles from my nearest Fry's store.

alimoni

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
hi dears,
my seagate 500gb barracuda 7200.11 drive is not detected by my bios anymore, as I searched the internet its firmware is the problem, how can I fix this, or upgrade my drive, while its not detected by my bios?

regards.

razor2142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
@ alimoni
hi dears,
my seagate 500gb barracuda 7200.11 drive is not detected by my bios anymore, as I searched the internet its firmware is the problem, how can I fix this, or upgrade my drive, while its not detected by my bios?

I AM HAVING THE SAME QUESTION TOO

G

During the last six years, I personally used seagate Hard disc as indicated to others friends and customers,too. However, after I faced so many damage with this H.D I changed my mind and in that moment I just buy Hd Western.

norbs121

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
My Seagate Maxtor HDD decided to stop working so I requested help from Seagate, did I get any help NO!. They were not interested, the useless workers or something similiar. I shall never buy any product associated with Seagate ever again because of there inept attitude and there inability to have hard drives that work has lost them lots of customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS