Seagate Responds to Freezing HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
small number of Barracuda 7200.11 (1.5TB SATA) hard drives randomly pause or hang

By my count it's about 10%-20% of drives. How is that small???

does not result in data loss

Yet I have read mulitple counts where this leads to catastrophic failure.

OK Seagate if you say so. Let us know when you get on the ball.... If you still have one.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm not sure if it's my drive or my Foxconn NV chipset mobo, but I was experiencing similar issues upon installation of my SeaGate perpendicular recording 250GB drives.

G

Some Seagate drives made in Thailand also had a lot of problems.

G

Contacted Seagate new drives out in roughly 3 weeks, a relaunch. Firmware fix is available to anyone contacting Seagate with existing drive.

G

Seagate has such problems since years. That is why I have moved to WD.

G

TBH, it's not the freezing problem that's the issue, it's the boot-of-death problem that affects the whole of the 7200.11 drive where your drive just locks itself into BUSY state, isn't recognised by any PC BIOS, and you can't get your data off the disc. You have to pay to send your few weeks old hard drive back to Seagate, and then a week later you get an old refurb that has the same problem and can catastrophically fail with no warning at all.

rekabis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I had two of my drives fail in September after only a week or two of usage. TWO DRIVES. Stripe array. You don't have two drives fail simultaneously at the same time (hidden from BIOS, locked drive, 0Gb volume) unless it is a statistically significant problem.

dlethe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Details on the nature of the bug has just been released to OEMs. It is grossly hyped up and while the "affected" disks is large, the odds that it will happen are incredibly small. Lots of things have to happen for your drive to brick. More details below:

http://storagesecrets.org/2009/01/seagate-boot-death-analysis-overhyped-fud/

Status
Not open for further replies.