Seagate & Samsung Developing Enterprise SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Nice to see two companies playing nice together rather than the usual rounds of litigation. Maybe the real winner here will be the consumer.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]Nice to see two companies playing nice together rather than the usual rounds of litigation. Maybe the real winner here will be the consumer.[/citation]

That or at the end of the agreement they will both announce suits against each other and spend years fighting each other for no apparent reason.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
If I were to choose from Samsung or Seagate, I would go with Samsung... They generally have better reliability and may also have lower costs that will benefit the consumer in the enterprise category.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
This is great news. When the enterprise tech starts taking off the consumer products will benefit from it and hopefully start the falling of SSD prices.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]unholygregor[/nom]enterprise ssd's=big capacity=less $$ per gb =good for consumer[/citation]
I dont think that they will increase the capacity as much as you are thinking. Most enterprise servers use drives with capacities less than 500gb. they just have 8 slots or more in them to add capacity easily. With enterprise tech youre looking more at the decrease of power and heat and increasing the life cycle of the ssds. I doubt we will see sans with 14tB capacity all in SSDs any time soon. Would be cool to see a company with that kind of cash though

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
It's a little early to speculate on where E-class SSD development could lead, but this partnership is nonetheless great news for the industry as a whole.

jsx82

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]So the HDD will fail twice as fast. 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25; not impressed.[/citation]
uhhh what?
your math seems fine but your inference is not

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Somewhat off topic, but I wonder why it is so hard to make an SSD controller. It seems that it would be harder to create a controller for regular drives that can physically direct a read head over infinitesimal magnetic bits and read them off a disk spinning at 7200 rpm or more. I realize SDD storage capacities are higher than conventional memory, but can't they just model SSD storage after existing memory controllers?

catchercradle

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Such a shame that Samsung comes out as one of the companies with a bad ethical profile in Ethical consumer magazine, - that for both phones and cameras recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.