Seagate to Acquire Controlling Interest in LaCie

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
So much for all the HDD crisis. Seagate and WD lied to the world big time, judging by their recent billion dollar purchases. Now this. I wonder when will FTC wake up to these acquisitions before the HDD market turns into a total duopoly, like it isn't already.

[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So much for all the HDD crisis. Seagate and WD lied to the world big time, judging by their recent billion dollar purchases. Now this. I wonder when will FTC wake up to these acquisitions before the HDD market turns into a total duopoly, like it isn't already.[/citation]

Softpedia had an article on this recently, which indeed calls into question the reality of the "HDD Crisis". For companies in crisis, their profit margins and actions doesn't seem to be one in crisis.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Softpedia had an article on this recently, which indeed calls into question the reality of the "HDD Crisis". For companies in crisis, their profit margins and actions doesn't seem to be one in crisis.[/citation]
Yep, I have been following that.

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
yeah the hdd manufacturers totally tore a page out of the oil industry's play book. blow production hiccup into immense proportions, jack prices way up for way too long, profit! hey look at that, no missing steps!

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
1st Seagate gobbled up, destroyed, then crapped out Maxtor. Now LaCie? Too bad, It looks like the storage industry is about to lose yet another quality manufacturer.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Lacie is not a manufacturer. it buys the OEM HDDs from either WD or Seagate and assembles them in its own Enclosures..
nearly all the HDD manufacturing is in the hands of Seagate and WD .

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So much for all the HDD crisis. Seagate and WD lied to the world big time, judging by their recent billion dollar purchases. [/citation]
The crisis part wasn't on the profit margins, but on the production capacity. They simply couldn't supply drives in sufficient quantity. But since their production costs didn't increase with demand (and the associated asking price) their income vastly improved.

What I find much more facinating though, is seeing that almost a third of lacia's value is cash in the bank. That's a company with success it would appear.

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]maddy143ded[/nom]Lacie is not a manufacturer. it buys the OEM HDDs from either WD or Seagate and assembles them in its own Enclosures..nearly all the HDD manufacturing is in the hands of Seagate and WD .[/citation]My point is anything Seagate touches turns to crap. Your point is ..............?

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Someone have to put an end to this!

Because of Seagate my wonderful Samsung F4 2TB drives that had a wonderful 3 year warranty are now crappy Seagate drives with 1 year warranty. Ive never had a Samsung drive that failed, but in the last 3 months ive had 2 Seagate 2TB that constantly throw bad sectors and relocation events in my WHS, not to mention they run 10c higher than the F4's in the same 8 bay enclosure.

Now they are going to buy Lacie? Great, so now its going to be "Lacie by Seagate".

blaxpear

Honorable
May 25, 2012
They're all made in china now... not even sure what the difference is really.

LaCie just makes fancy overpriced boxes with HDD adapters in them. All made in china too. If I was running Seagate I would never invest in such a product. It has little control over the core of it's product. But it's all about who you know. The CEO of LaCie was probably playing a game of poker or round of golf with Seagate's CEO and said he was looking to retire. Seagate CEO said, hey I have a few $Billion in the bank. I can buy your shares in exchange for you customer base, whatever it is... I dont really care... let me push some numbers down the board's throats. I throw a fancy retreat party to make it go down smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.