Seagate to Continue Focus on Hybrid HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Seagate seems to be the only company doing this for consumers, seriously would like some other companies to jump on board to drive the prices down for these too.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
That 7mm thick Momentus XT, that will probably be a 500GB hard drive, obviously with 1 platter.
Can't wait for the 1TB version with hopefully a NAND flash cache that can buffer writes.

rb420

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
The hard drive industry is returning to a state of normal as far as hard drive availability is concerned

Slowly trickling down to retailers...

Local Pre Flood Price: hitachi 2tb 69.99 Now: Seagate 2tb Green 89.99

It isn't quite what it was, but it is getting there. Both drives were OEM.

game junky

Distinguished
I have tried the 500 GB Seagate hybrid drives but not the more recent 750GB model that doubled the flash partition to 16GB. I have heard encouraging things and I think for a single drive solution that requires large capacity with quick than normal SATA access times, it is a winner. Have a catalog designer in the office using one in her laptop she uses for CS5 and she is happy with the performance versus a standard drive. As they continue to increase the density of flash memory, I think we will see higher capacity drives at decreasing prices, but I think that's 2-3 years down the road for the next really significant change. There are some sub $/GB options out there (including the Samsung 830 if you get lucky on some popular sites) so we are in the right direction to make drive manufacturers compete at those price points. As a consumer with a lot of data, I think it's great.

Keep going Seagate, increase the flash partition to 32GB and lets see how fast we can make these things fly!

Status
Not open for further replies.