Seagate's 6TB Helium-filled HDDs Coming in Early 2Q 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

My understanding is it is less of "flying" and much closer to being like a normal ball bearing. The shape of the device causes a build-up of fluid(gasses are also fluids) which acts as a compressible cushion.

Kewlx25

You are right. The papers that I found on this are frequently in journals on tribology. I looked it up and found that it means lubrication, friction, and wear. So it's like the air moving at 80 MPH (!) forms a lubricant layer that separates the head from the disk surface.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

80mph and only ~3nm of separation. That's crazy. I don't care how much slower mech HDs than SSDs, it's still impressive.

68vistacruiser

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I remember when 5GB hard drives first came out, and I thought that was the end of my hard drive needs. Now someone needs 36TB for "legally obtained files from the internet". WOW! As for Seagate, the last drive I bought from them was a 500GB SATA. It went bad, so I sent it back under warranty, and they sent me a 500GB PATA drive. And that, my friends, was the last drive I ever bought from them. My Toshiba's are not only fast, but very reliable.

dosmastr

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
IBM did indeed produce a parking method that took the head entirely off the platters - off to the side. Think it is called "unloading." Makes more sense than putting the head in contact with a solid surface, but may increase startup time after an idle spin-down.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
No seal is perfect, that Helium will have all leaked out within a couple of years at which point your warranty will have conveniently expired.

hannibal

Distinguished
No seal is perfect, that Helium will have all leaked out within a couple of years at which point your warranty will have conveniently expired.
That is the idea. Sell new hard drive to the customer after that. Good business to company, not so good for customer. In anyway most big companies will buy new HD:s after 2-3 year usage, so this is just fine for them.

yawafrifa2000

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I edit movies, and a single 6TB drive to add to my system drive would be a great blessing for me. But at this period why spend the time and money developing a new type of HDD instead of new and better type of SSD?

hannibal

Distinguished
6TB hd 300$ 6TB ssd 6000$ I think that that is reason enough for making new HDD... The SSD is not even near in price wice at this moment, and not in many years. But eventually... who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.