Searching for a router with a coaxial input

His Wardship

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
I am currently living in Ireland, in a large Victorian house which has been divided into several, self contained apartments. The house itself is served by one ISP, which was UPC. (However they were bought out by Virgin last week.)

It was company policy for the ISP to provide only one router per household, the landlord placed the provided one above the main doorway to the house. However, due to the thickness of the walls and the materials they are made of, given the time the house was constructed and the distance from the router to my apartment, which is at the opposite end of the house, I receive a pathetic connection.

I have had to make use of power-line adapters and wifi range boosters in order to simply get a sub 1MB/s connection, which is far slower than the other apartments in the house.

In each main room, there is a UPC access port, with two coaxial ports attached, one for TV and one for internet. However, I have been unable to find a router that has a coaxial input online or in any nearby store. The router that is used above the main door to provide wifi to most of the house is a Cisco EPC3925. I have been unable to find this router for sale anywhere either.

I would greatly appreciate any help in finding a similar coaxial input router, due to my personal hobbies 1MB/s is quite painful to deal with and moving my rig closer to the router into my living room is not a particularly attractive choice. (Although I have moved it there for the time being)

Solution
It doesn't work like that.
The ISP talks to one device, with one public IP address, the modem.
The router behind that modem distributes multiple internal IP address to all the units in that residence.

A router will not have a coax input, nor will the ISP deliver a second IP address to that residence, unless you create an pay for a second account.

Now....to fix the connection speed at your particular device...
What is the overall speed plan that the ISP provides?
How many devices are involved, both wired and wireless?
How many users?

For instance...if what you pay the ISP for is 10 megabits, and there are 15 users and 25 devices....that is going to suck.

USAFRet

Titan
It doesn't work like that.
The ISP talks to one device, with one public IP address, the modem.
The router behind that modem distributes multiple internal IP address to all the units in that residence.

A router will not have a coax input, nor will the ISP deliver a second IP address to that residence, unless you create an pay for a second account.

Now....to fix the connection speed at your particular device...
What is the overall speed plan that the ISP provides?
How many devices are involved, both wired and wireless?
How many users?

For instance...if what you pay the ISP for is 10 megabits, and there are 15 users and 25 devices....that is going to suck.

Solution

His Wardship

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

Thanks very much for correcting me on this issue. I'm not sure what the device that the ISP communicates with is if routers can't have Coax inputs. This is what the back of the device looks like, a coax cable is plugged into the port marked 7, there are no phone lines plugged in.

I'm afraid I don't know the specifics of the contract that the landlord has with the ISP, I don't pay for utilities or arrange them under my lease. There are 5 other residents in the house, although I suspect that most of them are fairly light users of bandwidth, two that I've met are quite elderly and don't use the internet in any major way. I personally have only connected two devices to the router, my PC, which has a USB wireless adapter that I've bought and my phone.

For reference, this is a speed test I performed however I do not receive any thing like these indicated speeds when downloading or uploading, often only getting 10% of the indicated speeds on downloads and suffering frequent (once every few hours) drops in connections that take several minutes to restore. I would guess that this is due to signal degradation, but I'm really quite a novice in this area.

Thank you so much for your help

USAFRet

Titan

10% is absolutely normal.
What you're seeing are actually 2 different measurements. Speedtest and your ISP report in megabits.
Whatever software you're using to download with reports in megabytes.

Approx an 8:1 ratio, and then a little overhead. Confusing, right?
So...27 megabits per sec download (as above) as reported by speedtest.net might be 3 megabytes per sec as reported during a Steam download.
Small b vs large B. bits vs Bytes.

His Wardship

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

I had completely forgotten about the bit/byte distinction. I suppose I'll just have to tolerate the drop outs? They seem to happen randomly, even at times when I'm confident that no one else is using any bandwidth whatsoever.

Hi

The cisco device has a 4 port switch
Are you using a powerline mains adapter from 1 ethernet port of the cisco then to a powerline adapter in your flat

You could also get your landlords permission to run ethernet cable from cisco router to your flat.

Regards
Mike Barnes

His Wardship

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015

I am using a powerline adapter as you have described. I don't think the landlord would consent, it would involve laying out over 30m of cable through the house, even if it went in a straight line, it's a very large house. If he was to move the router to a separate access point which was more central to the house, would that improve the scenario?