Question Seasonic Focus platform high current tripping resolved?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
I see some nice discounts on Seasonic Focus/Prime PSUs these days.
Then I remember the high current tripping problem reported early this year (mainly with 3090 GPUs).
Then I see some discussions about how RMA's Seasonic PSU's manufactured after 2020/12 don't trip anymore with 3090.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

I have a Kill-A-Watt meter but I don't think it can react fast enough to catch very short power spikes.

No. A Kill-A-Watt can't measure anything nearly as fast as an excursion spike from a graphics card. Not even Nvidia's own PCAT can do that. You'd need an oscilloscope.

From what I can make out people compensate for the quality of the psu by increasing the wattage rating...I have seen a YouTube build of a SFF system using a FE 3080, 9900k and Corsair SF600. Now that did make me cringe give the CPU’s power needs but the system past all the benchmarks and games they threw at it with average scores.

It depends on what you're doing with the PC. Many games and benchmarks, you won't see a problem. I "intentionally" see if I can make a PSU shut down with Ampere cards by running Prime95, all cores, small FFT’s and Furmark 1080P w/ 2X MSAA & Post FX. Hit the space bar a couple times. Only need to run for about 3 to 5 minutes. If it doesn't shut down, you're solid.

If you're just going to use a 3080 to get 30 FPS in COD Black Ops Cold War, you're probably fine.

Reactions: Sarioah

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
i don't mean to intrude on your post but i just installed a gm-850 in my computer and not this thread has me worried , i dont have the beastly computers you all have i have a ryzen 3600 and a 3060ti, is it a specific model or is mine included in the ones that hard trip?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
i don't mean to intrude on your post but i just installed a gm-850 in my computer and not this thread has me worried , i dont have the beastly computers you all have i have a ryzen 3600 and a 3060ti, is it a specific model or is mine included in the ones that hard trip?

pls correct me if I am wrong. This is how I understood the situation -

• current Prime series had (still has??) tripping issues and Seasonic won't confirm whether it's fixed
  • Focus series had issues with the previous version of platform now they are selling newly designed platform
  • the new Focus platform seems not have issues with Ampere. If there is no report on the internet this long, it must be working well with Ampere.

And your GM-850 is based on the new Focus platform.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
pls correct me if I am wrong. This is how I understood the situation -

• current Prime series had (still has??) tripping issues and Seasonic won't confirm whether it's fixed
  • Focus series had issues with the previous version of platform now they are selling newly designed platform
  • the new Focus platform seems not have issues with Ampere. If there is no report on the internet this long, it must be working well with Ampere.
And your GM-850 is based on the new Focus platform.
bud i have no idea i was told my psu is an excellent unit but being disabled from a stroke i worry a lot cause i cant afford to replace things even though i have to upgrade my motherboard cause mines a low budget and really not good for gaming and also cpu cooler and maybe case dont know yet, im sure the gentleman that responded on my post whom is a moderator and gvery knowledgeable would of told me if the psu was bad but he said it was excellent i was just curious if mine was included in the other ones.

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
bud i have no idea i was told my psu is an excellent unit but being disabled from a stroke i worry a lot cause i cant afford to replace things even though i have to upgrade my motherboard cause mines a low budget and really not good for gaming and also cpu cooler and maybe case dont know yet, im sure the gentleman that responded on my post whom is a moderator and gvery knowledgeable would of told me if the psu was bad but he said it was excellent i was just curious if mine was included in the other ones.
My post above does not contradict with the advice you got. The bottom line is, your PSU will likely serve you as well as any PSU on the market. Your PSU is not included in the do-not-buy black list.

Dec 6, 2021
No. A Kill-A-Watt can't measure anything nearly as fast as an excursion spike from a graphics card. Not even Nvidia's own PCAT can do that. You'd need an oscilloscope.

It depends on what you're doing with the PC. Many games and benchmarks, you won't see a problem. I "intentionally" see if I can make a PSU shut down with Ampere cards by running Prime95, all cores, small FFT’s and Furmark 1080P w/ 2X MSAA & Post FX. Hit the space bar a couple times. Only need to run for about 3 to 5 minutes. If it doesn't shut down, you're solid.

If you're just going to use a 3080 to get 30 FPS in COD Black Ops Cold War, you're probably fine.
Tried this on my Seasonice Prime Ultra Gold 750W, and instant crash within 1 min. My system specs are 5600x and RTX 3080 Gaming Z