[SOLVED] Seasonic PSU tester has pins 3 and 4 bridged?

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Everything I have seen online says to jump pins 4&5 with a paperclip to test a PSU. I just opened a new Seasonic Titanium 850 and it came with a tester. Just a cheap plastic block with two of the pins jumped. It has pins 3 and 4 jumped. What's going on?

Solution
I am just trying to figure out if the tester that came with the PSU was made incorrectly. I don't want to use it someday and fry my PSU. I haven't seen a single website that says anything other than bridging pins 4 and 5. I did the paperclip test because my pc died the other day. I made a separate post about that. Just wondering if anybody else received a tester with their PSU and it has pins 3 and 4 bridged?

Pins 3/4/5/6/7 are ground/5v/ground/5v/ground so 3 and 4 will work exactly the same as 4 and 5.

Nothing to worry about.

USAFRet

Titan
Everything I have seen online says to jump pins 4&5 with a paperclip to test a PSU. I just opened a new Seasonic Titanium 850 and it came with a tester. Just a cheap plastic block with two of the pins jumped. It has pins 3 and 4 jumped. What's going on?
  1. paperclip test can only show that it is not absolutely dead. Not real functionality.
  2. Whatever tester came with that thing, there are instructions around somewhere. Follow that.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
  1. paperclip test can only show that it is not absolutely dead. Not real functionality.
  2. Whatever tester came with that thing, there are instructions around somewhere. Follow that.
I am just trying to figure out if the tester that came with the PSU was made incorrectly. I don't want to use it someday and fry my PSU. I haven't seen a single website that says anything other than bridging pins 4 and 5. I did the paperclip test because my pc died the other day. I made a separate post about that. Just wondering if anybody else received a tester with their PSU and it has pins 3 and 4 bridged?

Pins 3/4/5/6/7 are ground/5v/ground/5v/ground so 3 and 4 will work exactly the same as 4 and 5.

Nothing to worry about.

Solution