[SOLVED] Seasonic X900 PSU and RTX 3080 Ti – will it work?

AX1

May 16, 2022
Hi,

I’m looking to get an Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Master 12GB or the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC 12GB GPU or for my PC.

These are both 3x8 pin GPUs in terms of power connectors.

I currently have a Seasonic X900 - 900 watt PSU from back in 2012. It was one of the best at the time and still continues to operate perfectly problem free.

Bit of info on the PSU here: https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/seasonic_x900_ss-900hp_900w_psu/1

It has 4x6pin PCIE connectors (4 separate cables from the PSU advertised for quad SLI) with two factory supplied 6 to 8 pin adaptors. Its advertised on the box by Seasonic as supporting “the latest” dual 8 pin GPUs by use of the two included adaptors. PSU is rated for 18A per PCIE connector (72A total), total PSU output 900W.

As two 6 to 8 pin adaptors are already included by Seasonic in the box, any harm me getting a third to allow for the 3x8 pin needed for the 3080ti? All will be on individual PCIE power cables / rails , no splitting or piggybacking etc. The cards appear to suggest 850w required for a PSU.

My PC is an older one 2012 vintage. Motherboard is the Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z with the i7 2600K CPU. Still serves all my needs well to date. I understand fully that I won’t get maximum performance out of the card but that’s ok.

Anyone see any problems with getting a RTX 3080 Ti with what I have described?

Solution
Hi,

I’m looking to get an Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Master 12GB or the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC 12GB GPU or for my PC.

I currently have a Seasonic X900 - 900 watt PSU from back in 2012. It was one of the best at the time and still continues to operate perfectly problem free.

Bit of info on the PSU here: https://overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/seasonic_x900_ss-900hp_900w_psu/1

It has 4x6pin PCIE connectors (4 separate cables from the PSU advertised for quad SLI) with two factory supplied 6 to 8 pin adaptors. Its advertised on the box by Seasonic as supporting “the latest” dual 8 pin GPUs by use of the two included adaptors. PSU is rated...
Hi,

It has 4x6pin PCIE connectors (4 separate cables from the PSU advertised for quad SLI) with two factory supplied 6 to 8 pin adaptors. Its advertised on the box by Seasonic as supporting “the latest” dual 8 pin GPUs by use of the two included adaptors. PSU is rated for 18A per PCIE connector (72A total), total PSU output 900W.

As two 6 to 8 pin adaptors are already included by Seasonic in the box, any harm me getting a third to allow for the 3x8 pin needed for the 3080ti? All will be on individual PCIE power cables / rails , no splitting or piggybacking etc. The cards appear to suggest 850w required for a PSU.

My PC is an older one 2012 vintage. Motherboard is the Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z with the i7 2600K CPU. Still serves all my needs well to date. I understand fully that I won’t get maximum performance out of the card but that’s ok.

Anyone see any problems with getting a RTX 3080 Ti with what I have described?
Get another adapter.
Make sure it's exactly the same as the adapters you have.
You might want to get a can of air and give the psu a blow out from both directions.

Solution