Question Second GPU in non-SLI

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Does current build matter when throwing in a second non-SLI GPU.

Looking for a good GPU for simple tasks with editing and maneuvering windows while my main GPU handles rendering.

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Yeah, to give a useful answer at all, would need full specs. It doesn't take a lot of GPU power to basic Windows tasks and in most situations, it would be complete overkill. Don't know anything about your PC or the tasks you need to do, which makes it kinda hard to help.

Sorry for the late responses, spending the weekend with family.

So my wife has a decent following on twitch but her PC can't handle streaming and a second monitor off her GPU. Her Ryzen chip doesn't have integrated graphics.

Ryzen 5 2600
Red Devil RX 580
16GB ram @ 3000
Then just standard things from there - SSD, HDD, decent psu, etc.

I figured putting a second GPU into her bud would allow her to do what she wants and then some. Any input?

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Depends on your build and the software you are using.

You could use the onboard/CPU graphics as well for normal desktop use and a dedicated GPU to render things.

That was the plan until I realized Ryzen chips don't have integrated graphics unless you get certain models. I've always been Intel so I didn't know that was a thing tbh.

This is for my wife's build and she streams so her system sees heavy use, and her build isn't able to push a stream, play games, AND run a second monitor from her GPU. I figured a cheap GPU will allow her to use a second monitor to manage her stream software without putting more stress on her GPU since it causes frame rate issues and drops when does stuff with a second monitor.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If you just need display output, any cheapo card should do, with certain caveats.
For instance, I have a Vega 56. I can't use that and a Radeon 240/250 (50$ brand new couple years ago). New drivers don't support R250 and old drivers don't support Vega. So when I tested I had to use an old Gtx 760 but with how crashy Nvidias drivers are, I ended up pulling it out within days. Another driver version would probably have worked on Nvidia card.

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
You can get a NVENC supporting second GPU for encoding videos (OBS) while gaming on the other card.

Did you set the GPU as encoder in OBS/twitch?
I'd have to double check her settings. It probably is set to GPU - in the case that it is what would you suggest?

her PC is a mini-atx format so there is no room for another video card - even then it would have to be an PCIEX1_1.. We tried running her stream with two monitors off her OCd 580 but it caused SEVERE lag. It could just be set poorly in the GPU settings and I am not familiar enough with the AMD software lol..

Does current build matter when throwing in a second non-SLI GPU.

Looking for a good GPU for simple tasks with editing and maneuvering windows while my main GPU handles rendering.

As others say, it all depends on the API implementation. DirectX allows you to specify the adapter you wish to render to. But the programmer has to expose that.

That said, desktop drawing of windows and such is a trivial task for any modern GPU. Slow down of your UI shouldn't be an issue in most instances.

There are external USB based capture cards which are dirt cheap if you want to stream. They work perfectly IF the content is not marked with a copy protect flag. I believe a few twitch streamers go this route. It might be your cheap alternative.

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
the bios is up to date? Maybe the Ryzen and the RAM have issues
check the temperature as well

maybe this can help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46opP9ygSQ

if you use the amd driver:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZtKcdh0DM

Which internet connection are you using? for streaming you should have a good upload bandwidth as well

I'll definitely check this out and get back to you. I know it isn't the internet connection, as we have fiber and get 970+ up and down normally.

ChristianO

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
the bios is up to date? Maybe the Ryzen and the RAM have issues
check the temperature as well

maybe this can help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I46opP9ygSQ

if you use the amd driver:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZtKcdh0DM

Which internet connection are you using? for streaming you should have a good upload bandwidth as well
Hey! Just getting back to you - so her memory wasn't set to the DOCP profile and not running st the correct speeds, and her GPU was very out of date. I am going to try it for a bit since it seems a little weird after enabling the DOCP profile.

Hopefully it allows me to run two monitors St the same time. Her stream labs is set to use Software (x264) encoding since she said she experienced lag with other settings.

I appreciate the responses earlier, btw, thanks for those.

Reactions: helpstar