[SOLVED] Second hand PSU with no cables..

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
So, I have an RTX 3080 12GB on the way, whch should arrive in a few days. I currently have a 550W PSU and a 1080ti, and I know I'll need a better PSU.

I bought a used one, cheap, on eBay a few years ago but it was semi-modular and didn't come with any cables apart from the CPU 8-pin and the 24-pin cables.

My options are:
  • Buy a new PSU
  • Buy a set of cables
  • Build a set of cables
The problem is that buying cables looks to be horrendously expensive, probably about the same price, f not more expensive than a new PSU!
And to buy some wire, female ATX pins, and connectors, would also probably end up being in the same ballpark as a new PSU. I could probably get the cheaper from China, but that would mean waiting a few months for them to arrive.

I live in Ireland, and have been browsing UK and European stores but I haven't been able to find a reasonable set of cables anywhere, it seems like shops think that anyone looking for PSU cables is somebody who is making an expensive custom build, so they charge through the roof for them.

Is there anywhere I can buy a reasonably priced set of cables?

Mainly 2x8-pin GPU, and several 8-pin to SATA.. (750W Aerocool PSU)

Solution
So, I have an RTX 3080 12GB on the way, whch should arrive in a few days. I currently have a 550W PSU and a 1080ti, and I know I'll need a better PSU.

I bought a used one, cheap, on eBay a few years ago but it was semi-modular and didn't come with any cables apart from the CPU 8-pin and the 24-pin cables.

My options are:
  • Buy a new PSU
  • Buy a set of cables
  • Build a set of cables
The problem is that buying cables looks to be horrendously expensive, probably about the same price, f not more expensive than a new PSU!
And to buy some wire, female ATX pins, and connectors, would also probably end up being in the same ballpark as a new PSU. I could probably get the cheaper from China, but that would mean waiting a few...

Don't know, but I'd be highly spooked.

Power supply cables aren't generic.

Cables are typically designed for a very specific PSU....the pin outs of any new cable would have to match the factory cables exactly.

How much confidence could you have that your new cables match perfectly with what the PSU requires.

Conceivably, you could get them from the PSU manufacturer direct, but that might be a low probability.

Reactions: gijoe50000

My options are:
  • Buy a new PSU
  • Buy a set of cables
  • Build a set of cables
And to buy some wire, female ATX pins, and connectors, would also probably end up being in the same ballpark as a new PSU. I could probably get the cheaper from China, but that would mean waiting a few months for them to arrive.

I live in Ireland, and have been browsing UK and European stores but I haven't been able to find a reasonable set of cables anywhere, it seems like shops think that anyone looking for PSU cables is somebody who is making an expensive custom build, so they charge through the roof for them.

C'mon dude, you're being foolish. You've spent all that money on all that equipment and you want to go cheap on the power supply that makes everything work? Get yourself a new state of the art 1000watt power supply that properly supports the number of 8 pin cables you need. Why create problems when you've already spent so much.

My options are:
  • Buy a new PSU
  • Buy a set of cables
  • Build a set of cables

Considering the cost of a 3080, pairing it to a used, lower quality PSU is too poor an option to even consider.
Corsair RM850x (2018)

Solution

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Don't know, but I'd be highly spooked.

Power supply cables aren't generic.

Cables are typically designed for a very specific PSU....the pin outs of any new cable would have to match the factory cables exactly.

How much confidence could you have that your new cables match perfectly with what the PSU requires.

Conceivably, you could get them from the PSU manufacturer direct, but that might be a low probability.

Ah right, I would have thought that 8-pin to 8-pin would be pretty standard, since they're generally sold this way for custom builds..
But yea, going through the manufacturer would probably be a lot of time and hassle..

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
C'mon dude, you're being foolish. You've spent all that money on all that equipment and you want to go cheap on the power supply that makes everything work? Get yourself a new state of the art 1000watt power supply that properly supports the number of 8 pin cables you need. Why create problems when you've already spent so much.

That's exactly why I'm asking here!
I don't know how good (or bad) the PSU is, it's rated 80+gold, but granted it's probably pretty old at this stage, it's been sitting in a box as a spare for a few years now. Most likely it will stay there, unless I can pick up a decent set of cables for cheap, otherwise it will obviously be better to buy a new PSU.

Reactions: dwd999
That's exactly why I'm asking here!
I don't know how good (or bad) the PSU is, it's rated 80+gold, but granted it's probably pretty old at this stage, it's been sitting in a box as a spare for a few years now. Most likely it will stay there, unless I can pick up a decent set of cables for cheap, otherwise it will obviously be better to buy a new PSU.
Contact the psu maker and have a chat.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ah right, I would have thought that 8-pin to 8-pin would be pretty standard, since they're generally sold this way for custom builds..
But yea, going through the manufacturer would probably be a lot of time and hassle..

Those aren't modular cables, the custom cables you see regularly used most in online, custom builds are extensions.

Modular cables are most certainly not universal on the end that goes into the PSU. There's no such thing as a "8-pin to 8-pin" modular cable being described in that way correctly, because the number of pins on the PSU side doesn't actually mean anything.

Now, there are other custom cables that aren't extensions, but they're made for very specific PSUs that are popular among enthusiasts, and they're engineered to have the correct pinouts on the PSU side. I'd be very surprised to find one for Aerocool since people with high-end rigs are unlikely to use an Aerocool. It would be like shopping for a custom turbo kit specifically made for a 1988 Ford Tempo.

gijoe50000

Distinguished
May 27, 2013
Those aren't modular cables, the custom cables you see regularly used most in online, custom builds are extensions.

Modular cables are most certainly not universal on the end that goes into the PSU. There's no such thing as a "8-pin to 8-pin" modular cable being described in that way correctly, because the number of pins on the PSU side doesn't actually mean anything.

Now, there are other custom cables that aren't extensions, but they're made for very specific PSUs that are popular among enthusiasts, and they're engineered to have the correct pinouts on the PSU side. I'd be very surprised to find one for Aerocool since people with high-end rigs are unlikely to use an Aerocool. It would be like shopping for a custom turbo kit specifically made for a 1988 Ford Tempo.

Ah right, yea that makes sense.
I wasn't really looking too closely at them, I just saw that they were €30-40 for one cable and I moved on swiftly since that's a big chunk of the price of a new PSU!
But I went new anyway. I originally went with the TX850M on Amazon for €75 , but after that I saw that Corsair had a sale on their website, with the RM850 for €94 more so I went with that instead.
It says "Also compatible with the CORSAIR 12-pin GPU power cable for the hottest new GPUs." so I assume it's a newer model of the RM850, and not the same one as years ago!

TRENDING THREADS