[SOLVED] Second HD posts contents to windows desktop.

Apr 21, 2020
Hello,

I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have an SSD as my primary HD with windows 10 (C:) and a regular HD (E:) as my secondary for storage. When I installed my second HD, for some reason it is displaying it's directory (E) on the desktop. For example, if I make a new folder called "example" in my E directory, it shows up on my desktop (see attached pic). I've installed secondary HD's a few times in the past, but never run in to this particular problem. I'm sure there is probably a simple solution, but I'm not able to find much about this when I google it. Any suggestions would be welcome.

View: https://imgur.com/a/PUq0BP7

-Max

Solution
Open a file explorer. Right click on desktop in the quick access column. Go to the location tab. Is it set to E: ? If so, then click on restore default or set it to where you want.
Apr 21, 2020
Well the good news is, I was able to fix my issue, the bad news is that I didn't take screenshots to help any future readers. I will try to explain the process as best I can:

Under the location tab it said "Files in the E\ folder are stored in the location below" and in the box below it had [C\Users\PC\Desktop]

[READ UNTIL END TO AVOID MY MISTAKE]
In my case, I changed the location to E and when prompted to move the files, I selected YES. This screwed some things up. Namely it deleted the desktop folder from C\Users\PC (still not sure why....) From here I manually created a new folder in C\Users\PC named Desktop, which then added it to my quick access list. From here I right clicked, went to properties, location tab, and this time when prompted to "move the files" in the warning prompt, I chose NO and it fixed everything.

I imagine that if I had chose "restore default" and selected NO to the move files prompt in the first place this would have saved me some grief.

So after all this, I was left with some "default" icons left on my desktop and all of my gaming icons vanished, so I just opened up my E drive and moved them from there on to my desktop. Now everything is working perfectly.

I'm not sure why this happened in the first place, but I'm sure glad it is fixed now. I like a well organized desktop and this was driving my OCD crazy. Hopefully this will help anyone else who is having this same issue.

Thank you getochkn and rgd for your help. much appreciated.

-Max