Question Second M.2 Drive not detected on cold boot. Restart fixes problem.

GUnit_Gaming

Commendable
Jul 10, 2021
Problem started after I moved what was the main 1tb drive from slot one down to slot two. I added a new 4tb m.2 drive into slot one and partitioned it in half. The 1tb was left whole. Full wipe and reinstall of everything, Win10. I've found similar posts on other sources but the steps listed don't help. The second drive is more of just a bulk games drive but having to restart just to get it showing is kinda annoying. Any ideas would be great. Thank you.

M.2 Slot 1 (Gen 4): WD Black SN850X 4TB Gen4.
M.2 Slot 2 (Gen 3): WD Black SN850 1TB Gen4.
Sata 1,2: Seagate 1TB HDDs (x2)
Sata 3,4,5,6: Empty

Edit;
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming (Wifi).
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x.
G.Skill TridentZ RB Series 16GB DDR4 3600mhz.
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SC.
WD Black SN850X 4TB Gen4 (G4 Slot). WD Black SN850 1TB Gen4 (G3 Slot). Seagate 1TB HDD (x2).
Corsair RMx 650w 80+ Gold PSU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Sig space spaces can and will change over time. When that happens this thread and their suggestions can be rendered moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in now. It's why we ask users to pass on their specs in the thread's body. I've shoehorned your specs into the thread's body.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

You state doing a full wipe, were both drives connected when you were reinstalling Windows 10?

GUnit_Gaming

Commendable
Jul 10, 2021
Sig space spaces can and will change over time. When that happens this thread and their suggestions can be rendered moot to the end user in the same boat as you're in now. It's why we ask users to pass on their specs in the thread's body. I've shoehorned your specs into the thread's body.

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

You state doing a full wipe, were both drives connected when you were reinstalling Windows 10?
Yes both drives were installed during the OS install. I thought maybe an outdated BIOS would be it so I updated it today to the newest (3607), along with the drivers. I did a cold start and the problem still happens.

Did you find this thread? SN850 on a variety of boards

https://community.wd.com/t/wd-black...ios-on-bootup-from-power-off/259168/80?page=6

There are a few things in there you could try if you haven't already, otherwise it looks like you're best off returning the 4 TB as faulty and getting a different brand.

I had a 1 TB WD NVMe as my games drive for years without issue. Recently I got a 2 TB WD NVMe as the games drive and moved my OS/data to the 1 TB. Now, very occasionally, that 1 TB isn't found in BIOS so the PC won't boot, but it works fine when I try and boot it again. Go figure.

It doesn't happen enough to me to make me consider replacing the drive (yet), but in your case if it's happening a lot with a new drive it's not worth putting up with it.

Latest posts