Question Second M.2 went missing.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I have a an Asus G713QM laptop. To get just a little more speed and storage out of it I installed a second 500 gig HD in raid. Things went OK, but it lost the second drive, I was able to reseat them and rebuild the raid(now I doubt that fixed it). Things went OK for a while. Now, it lost the drive again. I tried reseating them again without success. What I have noticed is that the laptop recognizes both drives in the first slot but neither drive in the second slot. As a result my raid is offline. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do to correct this? I have the latest BIOS and it was working; it quit working when when I was on the web so I doubt it could have been an update. I fear the Motherboard controller is bad. If it it the controller what are the chances I will lose the first drive too?

Update. I was reading somewhere that there might be compatibility issues with drive brands. So, after attempting to flash the BIOS again hoping that would help(it didn't) I tried a Samsung drive in the second slot. Good news, bad news it sees the both drives. just why it worked with the two Sabrents in raid until now I don't know. I guess I need to get a gen4 1TB drive and most likely a fresh install.

If there is anyone else out there searching for why my M.2 slot does see my drive, it seems it just might be that laptop Bios is never full featured or very good. At least with this particular model.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What, if anything, is driving the need for RAID?

What RAID was set up?

RAID has its' purposes but only for specific environments and requirements.

Make and model drive(s)? Both HDDs?

500 GB capacity noted: How full?

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
What, if anything, is driving the need for RAID
Extra speed and storage was what I wanted. The Samsung M.2 that came with the laptop was slower than PciX 3 and was only 500gigs.
What RAID was set up?
AMD uses Raid Xpert the only choice was raid 0, if I remember right. I had been using this set up for at least 3 months. This is not a set up problem; it quit working and even after defaulting the BIOS settings It will see either Sabrent in the first position, neither Sabrent in the second position, but with a Sabrent in the first position it will see the OEM Samsung drive as a storage device in position 2 . It seems something weird has happened to to BIOS. I dont know how to reset the CMOS. On a ATX motherboard there was a jumper or you would ground the battery pins.
RAID has its' purposes but only for specific environments and requirements.

Make and model drive(s)? Both HDDs?
I used Identical Sabrent rocket NVMe 4.0 500gb drives. . I had one Sabrent and it was cheaper just to get another one. I have read that a raid array will not necessarily increase performance because a fast gen 4 is faster than the Pci 3 bus bandwidth. Now see that I should have just went with one drive for the os and one for storage but I liked the idea of only seeing one drive in the system.
500 GB capacity noted: How full?
I was right at 500gb of 900gb on the array. It would have been needing to use both drives at this point.