Second monitor does not work on gtx1080ti

noeljansen123

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Hello, yesterday i received my Geforce GTX1080TI OC Strix from Asus.
I plugged it in to my system, everything did go fine.
I started the system up to check if still everything would work andddd sadly no.

Actually it works, but not how i like it. On my first GPU the gtx760 2 monitors worked, after 1 year upgraded to the GTX960 both monitors worked too. This year i upgrade all components in my pc not the GPU because it was working fine for the moment. Still both monitors worked perfectly fine,so 3 days ago i got a call from my buddy if i wanted to buy the GTX1080TI ( brand new ) because he ordered 2 and could only use 1. Of course i said yes haha. But as i said, plugged everything in and now the second monitor will not work. The monitor itself works on a other pc.

I use a Samsung monitor a curved one, doesn't matter at all, i connected it with HDMI from the pc to the monitor. the second monitor is a old one, only supports VGA, the GPU doesn't have VGA, since i bought the GTX760 the older monitor runs on a adapter from DVI to VGA, still works now if i plug it in to my brothers pc who now uses my old gtx960. But on the 1080TI it won't turn on the second monitor, it shows up on my system but doesn't show the background or whatever, just doesn't turn on.

Hopefully someone can help me, drivers are of course up to date, today a fresh install of windows 10, but still no luck.

noeljansen123

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Forgot to mention, i still use the same old crap monitor since the GTX760, the main monitor i upgrade last year. The adapter DVI to VGA also is from back at the GTX760! The vga cable+adapter+old monitor work on a other pc, not on mine! Even if its the only monitor plugged in!

he means why does it show up in windows

There are lots of reasons why windows would see it. That doesn't mean it will work properly though; that just means the connection between the two isn't completely "dead/nonfunctional"

noeljansen123

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
https://snag.gy/FdbsDK.jpg this is what i mean, it shows up on my pc.. But can't get any sign of life on the screen.. If i plug as i said the adapter+cable+monitor into the old gtx960 or a complete other pc with a unknown graphic card it works. So the monitor cable and adapter are working. Maybe it is what snipergod said, i need an active adapter, but what one? DVI to VGA? HDMI to VGA? Displayport to VGA? :O

noeljansen123

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
or will it work if i buy a DVI to vga cable? First i thought the card was broken, that the DVI port maybe did not work, i had a dvi to HDMI cable so i plugged it into the dvi and into my main monitor and it work, will this also work if i buy the DVI to VGA? Or will i have the same struggles as i have now?

Needs to be an active adapter, a DVI to vga cable wont work if it is passive, Try looking for DisplayPort to VGA, those tend to be rather inexpensive.

My guess for it receiving the monitors information is that is passes the DID on a different band that the VGA signal.

noeljansen123

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Thanks for the help guys, i ordered a new monitor with HDMI support. I found some other cables or adapters they where way more expensive then a new monitor. The cheapest and best adapter they offered me was 60euro's ? sounds very unreal but okey. The monitor also is very old, so maybe i run in trouble later. Now i bought an 24inch monitor for 88euro's.. Sounds better to me haha.