[SOLVED] Second monitor is not detected anymore ?

dotGenco

Reputable
Dec 24, 2016
Last year I bought a new monitor and moved my old one over to use as a secondary monitor. Since the old one is quite used (had it for over 6 years, I think), it has been flickering from time to time but it was mostly fine.
Yesterday, I left the computer on for around 10 minutes to cook some food and came back to find the old monitor off. Thought it was just the cables but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The new monitor is Acer KG271 C, connected to the gpu with an HDMI. Old one is LG W2243S that has a vga cable connected to a dvi adapter then connected into the gpu. I wanted to try moving the adapter to the other port on the gpu but because of the case it doesn't fit.
GPU is Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB. Motherboard is MSI H110M.

I fiddled with the cables and checked if they were damaged in any way and they seem fine. Removed the adapter and connected the vga to my laptop and it works fine so I assume the cable is fine. Connected vga directly to my pc's motherboard but that didn't work either. I tried updating my graphics card drivers, no change. Tried uninstalling through device manager then reinstalling, no change. Tried the detect button in the settings, nothing.

Solution
There's 4 points of possible failure.
  1. Gpu port
  2. Cables
  3. Adapter
  4. Monitor

So try swapping cables around using the new monitor, old monitor gpu port etc. Eliminates cables as suspect. Eliminates gpu dvi port as suspect.

That leaves the adapter and the old monitor. Your new monitor I believe has a vga port, so try old cables and adapter to that. Eliminates adapter, gpu dvi and cables.

Leaving the old monitor as the only failure.

If wanting to keep dual setup (I do, have gotten to dislike single monitor setups now lol) I'd get another monitor to match. They'll have the closest coloring setup and characteristics as well as aesthetics.
Your vga monitor was introduced in 2010.
I think it is time to abandon vga.

It is curious that it worked on a laptop so the monitor may be ok, but the flickering you saw is an indication that it is on the way out.

Dis you install the intel integrated graphics drivers for your motherboard?
Did you activate integrated graphics adapter in the bios?
By default, it may have been shut off when a discrete graphics card was installed.
If not, that could explain why the monitor did not work, plugged in to the motherboard.

Reactions: dotGenco

dotGenco

Reputable
Dec 24, 2016
Try the old monitor on another known working computer.

Try another known working monitor in place of the old monitor on the current host computer.

Determine if the problem follows the old monitor or stays with the current host computer.
Thank you both for the response! Due to the pandemic I can't try different monitors/computers, the only other device I have is the laptop that I already tried.

Your vga monitor was introduced in 2010.
I think it is time to abandon vga.

It is curious that it worked on a laptop so the monitor may be ok, but the flickering you saw is an indication that it is on the way out.

Dis you install the intel integrated graphics drivers for your motherboard?
Did you activate integrated graphics adapter in the bios?
By default, it may have been shut off when a discrete graphics card was installed.
If not, that could explain why the monitor did not work, plugged in to the motherboard.
I know I was pushing its limit by continuing to use it but was hoping it'd last a bit longer.
I had the integrated graphics driver installed and turned on IGD multi-monitor setting in the bios settings but that didn't work either.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Gpu port
  2. Cables
  3. Adapter
  4. Monitor

So try swapping cables around using the new monitor, old monitor gpu port etc. Eliminates cables as suspect. Eliminates gpu dvi port as suspect.

That leaves the adapter and the old monitor. Your new monitor I believe has a vga port, so try old cables and adapter to that. Eliminates adapter, gpu dvi and cables.

If wanting to keep dual setup (I do, have gotten to dislike single monitor setups now lol) I'd get another monitor to match. They'll have the closest coloring setup and characteristics as well as aesthetics.

Reactions: dotGenco
Solution

dotGenco

Reputable
Dec 24, 2016
  1. Gpu port
  2. Cables
  3. Adapter
  4. Monitor

Thank you for the response, sorry I took a while to try it out. I believe the problem was with the adapter, I tried plugging in my working monitor with the adapter and it was having the same issue. Ordered a new adapter and a new vga cable. I'll edit this with the results when they arrive.

Edit: The cables have arrived and worked fine. Thank you all for offering advice.

Last edited: