Second taskbar in windows7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fault123

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi, I am new in Windows 7. I want to install a second taskbar or toolbar like we used to do with XP. When using XP I could just drag the "my Computer" icon towars one of the sides of the screen and immediately a second toolbar was created with all the "my Computer" data in it.
I wonder if i can do the same thing or something similar with Windows 7 that will allow me to install a second toolbar, say, on top side of the screen?

Thank all

Solution
Windows-7-task-bar.png

Right click an empty area on the taskbar

Click Toolbars

Click New Toolbar...

AddToolbar2.jpg

Select Computer (on Left hand side)

Click Select Folder

sshot-2009-08-19-21-05-44.png

Thats it
...................................................................................................
You can add more taskbar/s, follow the same steps, choose different Folder/s

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Windows-7-task-bar.png

Right click an empty area on the taskbar

Click Toolbars

Click New Toolbar...

AddToolbar2.jpg

Select Computer (on Left hand side)

Click Select Folder

sshot-2009-08-19-21-05-44.png

Thats it
...................................................................................................
You can add more taskbar/s, follow the same steps, choose different Folder/s

Solution

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
That's not the same thing as a separate toolbar, and it's no substitute. Extra toolbars have the advantage of location: a left-side toolbar, for example, removes the need to travel across the entire expanse of screen - my mouse is closer to the top-left of the screen FAR more often than it is near the bottom left - but i have never liked the toolbar anywhere except the bottom because the buttons were too big. To work around this omission, I initially wrote my own "extra toolbar" program and used it white figuring out a satisfactory native solution.

I now position "the" toolbar on the left side of the screen instead of the bottom, about an inch wide with autohide turned off. In the topmost position, I pin JumplistLauncher, where i keep the most important items from my pre-7 toolbar set, separated into categories. An imperfect workaround, but tolerable.

My other big complaint was that it is difficult to start additional instances of programs, but that turned out to be an error on my part: middle-clicking does start a second instance. I also find useful the fact that dragging a taskbar button toward the desktop always opens the program's jumplist.

Now, if I could just open all instances of a program with one mouse operation instead of it requiring multiple trips to the previews. It's a shame that there is a "close all windows" but not an "open all windows".

superhighperf

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
i would also like a solution to this. i tried ultramon but i can not figure out how to create a second bar on the side.

this is a great feature in vista and xp. adding the fact that they removed the quicklaunch feature. windows 7 looks like a looser to me.

itfall

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I was able to make a toolbar docked to the side of the screen using a program and it just looked as what XP and Vista allowed us to make.

See this for details,
http://www.itfall.com/windows-7-toolbar-how-to-create-it/

Status
Not open for further replies.