Secondary display connection fail (Cable Not Connected), physical damage on connector / adapter?

F4ire

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Hi, I was setting up my old display (an old ACER LCD with VGA input) as a secondary display, using DVI => VGA adapter (GPU doesn't have a VGA port).

It as working allright, but then I needed to change the monitor location and while moving the display I pulled on the cable as it was preventing me from getting the display to a better place. I am afraid I damaged the connectors in the process.

First the display worked and showed white characters as yellow (I was running a CMD window on it) and now it only displays "Cable Not Connected" message. I tried to unconnect ande reconnect the cable, restart the computer to no avail. I checked the cable and reduction connectors and I think that one of the reduction pins (probably not the correct term, ESL here) was slightly bent, though it didn't seem to be bent that much.

I guess I damaged the cable port, reduction, or the GPU port, right? What would be the easiest way to determine the source of problem? I do not have a second VGA cable or reduction on my hands unfortunatelly - is there anything I can do before I go for replacements?

Thanks a lot for any advice!