[SOLVED] Secondary Hard drive disconnecting randomly

May 5, 2020
Have a weird issue going on, a few weeks of having mostly blue screens (Machine_Check_Exception) I believe is the same error I kept getting, and some random freezing when I walk away from my comp usually the next morning when I go downstairs. Ive noticed maybe once or twice by now my WD 2TB 3.5" drive was disconnecting itself randomly because I heard the noise through my speakers of the windows sound when you disconnect something, like a USB cable for a device. Just for maybe a second the drive would disappear in My PC which is strange, and thats the times I noticed it. Its an internal drive, and one of the first things I did after noticing all those problems was I ran Diagnostics through the Western digital Data LifeGuard software and of course came back clean, so I thought it wasn't that drive. and I can't run anything on my Samsung SSD main one because theres no proper software to test that one according to Samsung customer service. I tried a million different things but I think that might be possible causing the issues, but has anyone else ever ran into this issue? And one other strange thing was I noticed it was also happening to my other external drive too when plugged in, Dont think it was both of those drives that need to be replaced? Both of them seem to work But I'm just nervous. I dont wanna replace the drive unless I know its actually that but not sure what else I could do to look into it. Ill provide any other details if needed Any help would be much appreciated Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Have a weird issue going on, a few weeks of having mostly blue screens (Machine_Check_Exception) I believe is the same error I kept getting, and some random freezing when I walk away from my comp usually the next morning when I go downstairs. Ive noticed maybe once or twice by now my WD 2TB 3.5" drive was disconnecting itself randomly because I heard the noise through my speakers of the windows sound when you disconnect something, like a USB cable for a device. Just for maybe a second the drive would disappear in My PC which is strange, and thats the times I noticed it. Its an internal drive, and one of the first things I did after noticing all those problems was I ran Diagnostics through the Western digital Data LifeGuard...
Have a weird issue going on, a few weeks of having mostly blue screens (Machine_Check_Exception) I believe is the same error I kept getting, and some random freezing when I walk away from my comp usually the next morning when I go downstairs. Ive noticed maybe once or twice by now my WD 2TB 3.5" drive was disconnecting itself randomly because I heard the noise through my speakers of the windows sound when you disconnect something, like a USB cable for a device. Just for maybe a second the drive would disappear in My PC which is strange, and thats the times I noticed it. Its an internal drive, and one of the first things I did after noticing all those problems was I ran Diagnostics through the Western digital Data LifeGuard software and of course came back clean, so I thought it wasn't that drive. and I can't run anything on my Samsung SSD main one because theres no proper software to test that one according to Samsung customer service. I tried a million different things but I think that might be possible causing the issues, but has anyone else ever ran into this issue? And one other strange thing was I noticed it was also happening to my other external drive too when plugged in, Dont think it was both of those drives that need to be replaced? Both of them seem to work But I'm just nervous. I dont wanna replace the drive unless I know its actually that but not sure what else I could do to look into it. Ill provide any other details if needed Any help would be much appreciated Thanks!
Check all the cables in the pc and make sure they are still snug and secure to the system mobo and drive. If everything on that end seems fine i would double check the sata to the hdd and mobo it maybe faulty. If that doesn't seem to solve the issue, only other thing you can do is try a different sata port on mobo.

Reactions: JRose4123
Solution
May 5, 2020
Check all the cables in the pc and make sure they are still snug and secure to the system mobo and drive. If everything on that end seems fine i would double check the sata to the hdd and mobo it maybe faulty. If that doesn't seem to solve the issue, only other thing you can do is try a different sata port on mobo.
Yeah I guess it wouldnt hurt to try a different port, but all the cables are plugged in tight so it shouldn't be that. Its just strange how it happens intermittently, and I dont think the drive went bad but Im not sure. But I guess ill also try a new sata cable too. Thanks

Look in windows power options/ advanced settings.
I think you are shutting your hard drive off after some period of inactivity.
However that would not give him a diconnect and blue screen wimdows shuts hdd's down in specific ways. To avoid this issue right here, the only thing it can really be is the drive port or cords if it's windows then this would be more of a problem on a lot more systems

Reactions: JRose4123
May 5, 2020
Look in windows power options/ advanced settings.
I think you are shutting your hard drive off after some period of inactivity.
Yes I already checked that, I made sure I set it all to never, so its not shutting it off. Theres something else going on, but cant tell if my drive is going..

May 5, 2020
It could be i would cloan it to a backup drive and do a deep clean of that drive.

Already did that too. The problem is the diagnostics of my backup drive came back clean, but that one and my external ramdonly disappears sometimes, and i cant run any diags on my ssd. but I formatted the drive and it works, just not sure if its causing my blue screens I keep getting. But might be a separate issue

Already did that too. The problem is the diagnostics of my backup drive came back clean, but that one and my external ramdonly disappears sometimes, and i cant run any diags on my ssd. but I formatted the drive and it works, just not sure if its causing my blue screens I keep getting. But might be a separate issue
Machine_check_exceptions bluescreen code generally is generated when you have a faulty peace of hardware.... So i would assume if the drive keeps giving the disconnect error it would be the drive failing

May 5, 2020
Machine_check_exceptions bluescreen code generally is generated when you have a faulty peace of hardware.... So i would assume if the drive keeps giving the disconnect error it would be the drive failing

Thats what I thought too.. I mean technically it could be a few different things, Im sure its more generally a hardware issue But surprised that I tested it and it passed both tests. The thing is it only did it a few times, not very often, But point is I was still getting the same bluescreen after unplugging it so I figured it wasnt that

May 5, 2020
Did you check HDD health on HDD Sentinel? If is not your HDD, maybe your PSU power is unstable

Thanks I actually didn't know about this program... But I googled and installed it, and both of my drives look to be in good health, and when I ran diagnostics on my WD before both tests came back clean. I attached the screenshots from sentinel, but it's looking like my 2tb drive had some problems when I got the bluescreen, it doesn't seem like it was with my main drive. I guess this program is pretty accurate huh? But it's just funny because I remember even when I unplugged my WD I remember still running into issues, but maybe ill try one more time. and as far as my power supply it hasn't shut down or anything, I don't think there's any issue with that?
https://ibb.co/gT6TWFx
https://ibb.co/THx3Mbt

Thanks I actually didn't know about this program... But I googled and installed it, and both of my drives look to be in good health, and when I ran diagnostics on my WD before both tests came back clean. I attached the screenshots from sentinel, but it's looking like my 2tb drive had some problems when I got the bluescreen, it doesn't seem like it was with my main drive. I guess this program is pretty accurate huh? But it's just funny because I remember even when I unplugged my WD I remember still running into issues, but maybe ill try one more time. and as far as my power supply it hasn't shut down or anything, I don't think there's any issue with that?
https://ibb.co/gT6TWFx
https://ibb.co/THx3Mbt
Hardware failure normally dosn't pop for a drive though. Normally it will only go off when like gpu cpu mobo or something like these are havi g issues

May 5, 2020
Hardware failure normally dosn't pop for a drive though. Normally it will only go off when like gpu cpu mobo or something like these are havi g issues
Right, true I mean it could still be that, i dont know but Im leaning more towards overheating or it might even be my printer honeslty When its connected sometimes in the past I remember when I restarted it would stay stuck on the bios screen and not move past unless I either unplugged my printer USB or turned it off SO Im seeing if its that or my USB cable maybe for my UPS batt backup.