Secondary Hard Drive randomly not working

Mar 26, 2018
Recently out of no where I've been having problems with my hard drive. I have my windows installation on an SSD and now my HDD will randomly not show up. So in Disk Management the drive is there but it says it is not initialized and the size is unknown. It won't even let me initialize it to MBR or GPT(see image link).

aMmJmhp.png

I tried unplugging the SATA and ATA ports from both the hard drive and the motherboard/PSU and plugging them back in. The hard drive is not even a year old I got it in November of 2017.

I'm at a loss here, I doubt it's the SATA cable itself as the SSD is also connected to it(It's one of those splitter SATA cables). Anyone have any idea what's up?

Lutfij

Titan
Update your BIOS is there are any pending. See if you need to install an app/driver for your storage controller and also see if a repair install changes the issue. You may want to give benefit of the doubt and change the SATA data cable as well as the connector feeding power to your storage drive. Often times the solution is as simple as that.

FYI, SATA power splitter cables are a bane in the computing industry. If your PSU doesn't have the necessary connectors, then the PSU needs a swap.

Mar 26, 2018

I did this and the S.M.A.R.T check passed but all the others failed. Do I need a new hard drive?