Question Secondary HDD suddenly not recognized

Model700

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Hello,

Have a system with a SSD/HDD combo. 2 or 3 months ago, I reinstalled Windows 7 to be purely on my SSD rather than splitting up the system and boot partitions. This allowed me to change my hard drive to GPT and use all 3TB. Not sure if that's related but I figure it's worth bringing up.

The computer has been running fine minus a few random issues here and there. Today, I went to launch a program formerly installed on my HDD and was told the .exe was missing. Sure enough, the drive was not listed under the Computer tab. I don't have an extra SATA cable lying around but I did switch the connections with my CD ROM and verified that the drive still didn't work and the CD ROM did. The HDD also spins when initially powered up.

If the drive is dead, that's fine by me. I don't see what else it could be but I figured I'd check in here.

also, my SSD is randomly set to read only, so that's annoying. Haven't investigated that (it totally was read/write before!) but also wanted to bring it up in case it is a red flag.

Thanks!

popatim

Titan
Device manager is not the bios.
Assume you meant it is not shown in the bios nor in device manger then it is dead, You can check the TVS Diodes.

Which exact hdd is this? I'll guess its a Seagate, these 3tb drives were noted for dying young iirc even though my 2 still work fine. LoL

Model700

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
Device manager is not the bios.
Assume you meant it is not shown in the bios nor in device manger then it is dead, You can check the TVS Diodes.

Which exact hdd is this? I'll guess its a Seagate, these 3tb drives were noted for dying young iirc even though my 2 still work fine. LoL

Yep, the ST3000DM001 drive. This one is over 4 years old, closer to 5. It is interesting to me that it wasn't showing in BIOS but was in device manager listed as "This device is working properly". Must have been old info because now it's not in device manager.

Guess I'll have to eat 75 bucks on a new one hah