Secondary Monitor Resolution Stuck on 1024x768

plumwd

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Yesterday I changed out my RAM and when I booted the machine back up afterwards my secondary monitor would not allow me to change the resolution beyond 1024x768. Its native resolution is 1920x1080. The monitor is the ASUS VG248QE model and is showing up in device manager as a generic non-pnp monitor.

My video card is the GTX 970. I have tried many different version of the drivers for the card and nothing changes. I have also tried replacing the cable with another, but again no change.

I'm currently running Windows 10 - 64 bit and have been since release with no issues.

At the same time I noticed that the NVIDIA HDMI sound options are also not available. Is it possible I shorted out the video card when I added the new ram?

Hi,

Have you tried doing a clean install of the latest graphics card driver?
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the graphics card driver.
- Check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest graphics driver from the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your PC once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do try changing the resolution of the 2nd monitor to 1920x1080 and see if it will work or not.

plumwd

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

I did many clean installs.

At this point I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. I discovered this morning that a display port cable works just fine as does HDMI. Neither DVI port allow me to change the resolution. My solution for now is just to swap the cable from DVI to the display port.