[SOLVED] Secure erase m.2 problem

Feb 3, 2020
I want to use my old m.2(intel 660p) as storage for my new build, it's currently my OS drive. I downloaded Intels SSD toolbox but I cant erase it because "This operation cannot run on boot drives or drives with a partition." duh right? So I check my motherboards(asus z170-a) BIOS and try to do it from there but none of my drives even show up? none not my 1tb hdd or the m.2. I can see they are connected but when I go to advanced mode--tools--secure erase...nothing, no option to select what drive I want to erase. How do I wipe my m.2 ssd so that I can use it as storage for my new system? which by the way, idk if it matters, but I'm going from intel--->amd.

Solution
That would be the old motherboard Im building a new system with another motherboard the ROG Strix B450-F Gaming.
OK.

In any case, you cannot do a Secure Erase on a drive from within the running Windows instance. Nor even a 'format'.

So, you simply connect the drive (and only the desired drive) to the new system and install the OS.
Delete all existing partitions in the process.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Hi there,

I have an easy solution for you. You'll want to unplug all other drives except the M.2 that you plan on using as the boot drive. After that, boot into the windows 10 iso (i'm assuming you are installing off of a flash drive). When you get to the install screen hit SHIFT + F10, as this will bring up a command prompt window. Once there, type in "diskpart" and wait for it to give you the blinking cursor again. Type in "select disk 0", hit enter. Then type in "clean", hit enter. After it says "disk has been cleaned" exit the command prompt window and install as normal. Hope this helps :)

Feb 3, 2020
When the Windows 10 installer begins you have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions which will give you an empty drive to run the Windows 10 on. Windows 10 will make the partitions it needs and do the formatting automatically.
my new motherboard has 2 m.2 slots and i was gifted a 970 evo and would like to use that as my OS drive (since its faster and better and newer) and the old m.2(intel 660p) as storage. Will win10 installer just do the format and not install win10?

USAFRet

Titan
That would be the old motherboard Im building a new system with another motherboard the ROG Strix B450-F Gaming.
OK.

In any case, you cannot do a Secure Erase on a drive from within the running Windows instance. Nor even a 'format'.

So, you simply connect the drive (and only the desired drive) to the new system and install the OS.
Delete all existing partitions in the process.

Solution