[SOLVED] Security camera works connected to router, but wont work when connected to switch

Oct 26, 2022
Hey everyone, I have a security camera attached to my router which works fine, but I needed more ports so I added a switch (TP-Link TL-SG105 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch). The problem is that no matter what port I attach the camera to the switch, its wont connect properly. I have an identical camera system that works when connected to the switch and ive tried devices on all ports with no issues. Its just the one camera that isnt recognized by the router. Both cameras have static IPs. The switch ports light up green for all devices but that one camera which blinks green. I'm really lost as to why thats happening. Anyone have some thoughts on what the issue might be?

Solution
It should not really matter the switch is completely transparent to the end devices. They actually think they have a direct connection.

My guess would be you have a marginal ethernet cable going to the camera. It might work on some devices and not others. Trying a different cable to the camera would be your best test but it all depends on how hard it is to run a test ethernet cable.
It should not really matter the switch is completely transparent to the end devices. They actually think they have a direct connection.

My guess would be you have a marginal ethernet cable going to the camera. It might work on some devices and not others. Trying a different cable to the camera would be your best test but it all depends on how hard it is to run a test ethernet cable.

Reactions: thegreengaint
Solution
Oct 26, 2022

Luckily i have a spare cable thats long enough and I can't believe I didn't think of that but it works! Thank you so much for your response. I still think it's strange that it works into the router though, but not the switch.

It is one of those things that only a pro could afford the meter to test and certify a cable. They can be just slightly out of spec and some equipment will tolerate it more than others. This is a extremely common problem with all that junk fake cable being sold on places like amazon. That flat cable for example uses wires that are far below the allowed size for ethernet cables which means things like the resistance is wrong but it does work at shorter distances which is how they get away with selling that garbage.