Securom on Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

1) From the list above, and the games I've noted in my post, I have not noticed any problem at all with securom messing up my computer. Having Vista since late 2007, I have only reinstalled it once because I wanted a fresh install for SP1. In other words I haven't ran into any funky problems that sound like they would have been caused by securom. My answer would be: I don't believe so.

2)If it's true that running the game is what 'uses' securom, then I believe to isolate this issue would be to pirate the game and use a cracked exe. I believe though if you install from the retail CD it will put the secrom on your PC. So you'll pretty much have to leave the game box as is and put in the key code(seeing as for any computer software all you really are paying for is that key). But again refer back to my #1 answer. Unfortunately with computers being computers, there's almost an infinite number of variables causing people to have many problems or no problems with securom.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Any game from Good ol Games (www.gog.com) is DRM free. And, you can download it as much as you want to any computer you want after your initial purchase. Every couple of weeks, they keep adding more and more games. Sure, it's older games, but hey, some of them are the best!

Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition! Groovy!!!

BTW, I haven't had any DRM screw up my system. That's not to say I like it, but if I feel the game is worth it, I'll get it. Of course, Assassin's Creed II will NEVER be purchased NOR played by me until they remove the constant online restriction. That is completely uncalled for. But, it looks like they're aren't going to quit using it any time soon.