Build Advice Seeking advice on hardware compatibility and cooling for a new build ?

Jun 5, 2023
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of selecting components for my new PC build, and I would greatly appreciate your expertise in assessing the compatibility and cooling aspects of my choices. While I have chosen components based on the performance I desire, I want to ensure they work together optimally and are adequately cooled.

Here is the list of components I have selected:

• SSD: 2x Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z690 TOMAHAWK WIFI
  • Power supply: MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5
  • Water cooling: MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2
  • RAM: Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 6400MHz CL32 Renegade
  • GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-13900KF
  • Case: MSI MPG VELOX 100R
My main concerns are as follows:

1. Compatibility: I am unsure whether these components will work together seamlessly, considering factors such as connectivity, and any potential bottlenecks. I would appreciate any insights into potential compatibility issues or suggestions for alternative components if needed.
  2. Cooling: Given the performance of the selected components, I am particularly concerned about the cooling system's effectiveness. I have chosen the MSI MAG CORELIQUID 240R V2 water cooling solution, but I am unsure if it will be sufficient to keep the system adequately cooled under heavy loads. If you have any recommendations or insights regarding the cooling setup, I would be grateful to hear them.
Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. Your expertise and guidance will be invaluable in ensuring a smooth and optimized PC build. Please let me know if any additional information is required.

Best regards,
ja1ba6

Lutfij

Titan
I'd get a Z790 chipset motherboard as opposed to a Z690 chipset. Is the ram kit a 2x16GB? PSU from MSI should be fine but I'd look into a slightly higher wattage unit, just stay away from MSI's cooling solutions, regardless of what marketing they spew out.

Jun 5, 2023
I'd get a Z790 chipset motherboard as opposed to a Z690 chipset. Is the ram kit a 2x16GB? PSU from MSI should be fine but I'd look into a slightly higher wattage unit, just stay away from MSI's cooling solutions, regardless of what marketing they spew out.
Thank you for your input and suggestions. I appreciate your insights.
I don’t know much about motherboards, so I'd love to learn more about why the Z790 chipset would be a better option compared to the Z690 chipset. If you could provide some details on the advantages of the Z790 chipset, it would greatly help in my decision-making process.
Regarding the RAM kit, it is indeed a 2x16GB configuration, totaling 32GB. I apologize for not specifying that in my original post.

Jun 5, 2023
I'd also throw the case out of that list, since the front panel is just blocked off to prevent proper airflow, unless you want to cook your hardware inside the chassis.
Thank you again for your input. It's clear that a case with better optimizations for airflow would be beneficial to maintain optimal performance and prevent overheating. Do you think that Lian Li LANCOOL III case should be fine or do you have other suggestion?

You could build as is, but I would not.
I would use a single 2tb m.2 ssd. It is easier to manage a single C drive space.
Probably cost a bit less also.
There is no performance advantage to two devices.

The case is not the best for airflow, but it will do.
Looks count, buy a case you love.
If you are into overclocking or max performance you will want a better case.

I would not use a aio cooler, particularly that one.
It has some recall activity:

A good twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15 will cool about as well as a 240 aio.
It will be quieter and more reliable.
aio coolers do not last forever.
In time the mechanical pump fails or gets clogged.
Air will intrude through the tubes. Budget a 5 year life span.
Here is an interesting article on the reality or running a 13900K with less than top coolers:
Since your use is gaming, you will not be fully loading all threads.

And Spend an added $25 or so for the non F version.
It is cheap insurance if you should ever have a graphics card issue.

The psu is fine with a 10 year warranty.

Jun 5, 2023
You could build as is, but I would not.
I would use a single 2tb m.2 ssd. It is easier to manage a single C drive space.
Probably cost a bit less also.
There is no performance advantage to two devices.

The case is not the best for airflow, but it will do.
Looks count, buy a case you love.
If you are into overclocking or max performance you will want a better case.

I would not use a aio cooler, particularly that one.
It has some recall activity:

A good twin tower air cooler like the noctua NH-D15 will cool about as well as a 240 aio.
It will be quieter and more reliable.
aio coolers do not last forever.
In time the mechanical pump fails or gets clogged.
Air will intrude through the tubes. Budget a 5 year life span.
Here is an interesting article on the reality or running a 13900K with less than top coolers:
Since your use is gaming, you will not be fully loading all threads.

And Spend an added $25 or so for the non F version.
It is cheap insurance if you should ever have a graphics card issue.

The psu is fine with a 10 year warranty.
Thank you for your valuable insights and I will use them in my decision-making.
I'am particularly interested in the topic of cooling solution for the CPU. You mentioned that the AIO mechanical pump fails or gets clogged which ultimately decreases the performance. The overall price of the computer is really expensive, so I don't have a problem to spend more bucks on better CPU cooling to prolong its life span. Based on this can you please suggest any optimal solution for the cooling that would work?
Also, I am planning to use this computer for deep learning. If you have any insights for improving the configuration, I'am open to your suggestions.

If an aio pump fails, you overheat in an instant, and can no longer run until you order and install a replacement.
If the pump collects debris or air intrudes, the cooling efficiency goes down giving you time to plan on a replacement.

On an air cooler, the fan can fail, but you can run a bit from airflow from the front intakes.
That is an easy quick replacement.

Do you have an app in mind for this "deep learning"?
Most simulators are largely single threaded so heat generation is not so much.
If the simulator is programmed to be multi threaded, then you may want to look into a 360 or 480 size liquid cooler and a better case.

Jun 5, 2023
If an aio pump fails, you overheat in an instant, and can no longer run until you order and install a replacement.
If the pump collects debris or air intrudes, the cooling efficiency goes down giving you time to plan on a replacement.

On an air cooler, the fan can fail, but you can run a bit from airflow from the front intakes.
That is an easy quick replacement.

Do you have an app in mind for this "deep learning"?
Most simulators are largely single threaded so heat generation is not so much.
If the simulator is programmed to be multi threaded, then you may want to look into a 360 or 480 size liquid cooler and a better case.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding. I want to train my deep learning models on GPU, because the complex mathematical calculations can be parallelized. However, while the bulk of the computations are performed on the GPU, the CPU is responsible for tasks such as data loading, preprocessing, and coordinating the training process. As a result, CPU operations, including data loading and preprocessing, can benefit from multi-threading. By using multiple threads, I can parallelize these tasks and potentially speed up the overall training process.
Do I understand correctly that due to multi-threading and long periods of time under heavy load I should rather use 480?

Are you now running this app?
What is your current cpu?
Look at task manager. On the cpu graph, right click and select the logical processors view.
Are all threads fully busy?
Is there one predominantly loaded thread?
Multithreading a single app is a very difficult process to program. It in part, depends on the performance of the master controlling thread.
Look up "amdahl's law"

To test how effective multithreading is to your work, disable one thread and see how it impacts your performance.
If you have the budget, consider the merits of the 13900KS.

Jun 5, 2023
Are you now running this app?
What is your current cpu?
Look at task manager. On the cpu graph, right click and select the logical processors view.
Are all threads fully busy?
Is there one predominantly loaded thread?
Multithreading a single app is a very difficult process to program. It in part, depends on the performance of the master controlling thread.
Look up "amdahl's law"

To test how effective multithreading is to your work, disable one thread and see how it impacts your performance.
If you have the budget, consider the merits of the 13900KS.
You were right! Upon further research and reflection, I have come to realize that an Intel Core i7 processor will indeed suffice for my needs, rendering the more powerful i9 unnecessary. Your input helped me gain a better understanding of my computing requirements and make a more informed decision. I truly appreciate your patience and expertise.
Also do you think it is worth it to use 42O AIO to improve airflow in the case even I don't need such performence for CPU cooling?