Question Seemingly dead CPU on freshly built PC

Oct 31, 2023
Hi everyone, that 's my first post so i hope I do it right !

In short: my nephew want a gaming PC, i order the pieces, i built it, start it up, the screen display the BIOS. Then after trying to enter another menu in it, the screen no longer display anything and a scary red LED is on on the motherboard.

Hardware list:
Case: Spirit of Gamer – Rogue V
Power supply: Corsair CV Series CV650 650 W Dual EPS 80 PLUS Bronze
Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Cooling: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB
SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 1To M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Go (2x8Go) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP
GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC 12GB GDDR6

More details: After the built, i connected it to mouse and keyboard, and to a 24" screen (iiyama black hawk). I boot up the pc, wait about 10 seconds before the BIOS showed up. Everything seems normal until i try to enter the "Hardware monitor" menu, to check the default settings of the hardware. When i clicked on the menu, the screen shut down (no signal detected) and i can't access to the bios interface anymore. I checked the motherboard, everything that is visible is running, but i noticed a red led tagged "CPU" turned on aside the motherboard power supply connector.

Things i tried:
- Reset the BIOS (removed the battery for hours and jumped the JBAT1 pins)
- Remove the CPU, check the pins, reinstall it, clean the thermal paste, re-apply it
- Check the connections (CPU power, CPU fan and even CPU Leds, Motherboard power, GPU power)
- Reinstall the RAM in the right slots (the first time i put them in the 1 and 3 slots, but before the BIOS showed up the first time, it indicate me to change to the 2 and 4 slots)
- Pray

Questions:
Since the CPU seems to be grilled, i will send it back for exchange if i can, but I am in a hurry.
- If i change the CPU, do you think the problem will be solved, or another component can be the one which break the CPU ?
- Before send it back, do you think there is another thing I can try ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary question:
For the Wifi I purchased this card: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B003CFATNI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I take the "Gigabits 32 bits" one. But when I opened the package I had da doubt that this can handle the wifi connection. Am I wrong ?

Thank you for your time !

Hi everyone, that 's my first post so i hope I do it right !

In short: my nephew want a gaming PC, i order the pieces, i built it, start it up, the screen display the BIOS. Then after trying to enter another menu in it, the screen no longer display anything and a scary red LED is on on the motherboard.

Hardware list:
Case: Spirit of Gamer – Rogue V
Power supply: Corsair CV Series CV650 650 W Dual EPS 80 PLUS Bronze
Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500
Cooling: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB
SSD: Crucial P3 Plus 1To M.2 PCIe Gen4 NVMe
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Go (2x8Go) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP
GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 3060 Twin Edge OC 12GB GDDR6

More details: After the built, i connected it to mouse and keyboard, and to a 24" screen (iiyama black hawk). I boot up the pc, wait about 10 seconds before the BIOS showed up. Everything seems normal until i try to enter the "Hardware monitor" menu, to check the default settings of the hardware. When i clicked on the menu, the screen shut down (no signal detected) and i can't access to the bios interface anymore. I checked the motherboard, everything that is visible is running, but i noticed a red led tagged "CPU" turned on aside the motherboard power supply connector.

Things i tried:
- Reset the BIOS (removed the battery for hours and jumped the JBAT1 pins)
- Remove the CPU, check the pins, reinstall it, clean the thermal paste, re-apply it
- Check the connections (CPU power, CPU fan and even CPU Leds, Motherboard power, GPU power)
- Reinstall the RAM in the right slots (the first time i put them in the 1 and 3 slots, but before the BIOS showed up the first time, it indicate me to change to the 2 and 4 slots)
- Pray

Questions:
Since the CPU seems to be grilled, i will send it back for exchange if i can, but I am in a hurry.
- If i change the CPU, do you think the problem will be solved, or another component can be the one which break the CPU ?
- Before send it back, do you think there is another thing I can try ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondary question:
For the Wifi I purchased this card: https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B003CFATNI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I take the "Gigabits 32 bits" one. But when I opened the package I had da doubt that this can handle the wifi connection. Am I wrong ?

Thank you for your time !

1. its either the cpu or motherboard considering the bios supports it out the box i doubt its the cpu.
cpu light can mean either the board is buggered or the cpu is.

i would wager a bet that its the motherboard as ive had several msi boards and they gave me nothing but problems with either not posting or simply doing what yours did started up then farted and died.

other things to check that the screws that hold the motherboard in place in the case are all screwed down properly as a random screw that isnt fastened down properly can cause a short. i found this out threw trial and error with msi as they dont insulate there screw holes well from metal screws infact some of the protection around these screw holes was missing.

brands i recomend are gigabyte and asrock ive had less trouble with those.

Oct 31, 2023
Hi again !
I thank you for the responses and apologize for the time I took to answer, life is hard.

1. its either the cpu or motherboard considering the bios supports it out the box i doubt its the cpu.
cpu light can mean either the board is buggered or the cpu is.

i would wager a bet that its the motherboard as ive had several msi boards and they gave me nothing but problems with either not posting or simply doing what yours did started up then farted and died.

other things to check that the screws that hold the motherboard in place in the case are all screwed down properly as a random screw that isnt fastened down properly can cause a short. i found this out threw trial and error with msi as they dont insulate there screw holes well from metal screws infact some of the protection around these screw holes was missing.

brands i recomend are gigabyte and asrock ive had less trouble with those.
After this message I decided to send back the CPU and the motherboard (less risk of futur issues I thought, but in the end just more issues with the supplier). So i changed all the setup, installed the new components aaaaaaaand ... same issue. This time the BIOS doesn't show up, even shortly, and the "CPU" led still lighted up.

try updating the bios
Concerning the BIOS update, I did after the change of components. So i downloaded the "7B86vP6" version of the BIOS on the official MSI website, unziped it, renamed the "E7B86AMS.P60" file into "MSI.ROM" and put it on a freshly formatted usb key (32Go). After that, i booted up the PC with the same result as before BUT, that was not the "CPU" led that was lighed up, that was the "DRAM" one.

So, trying desperately to resolve all of this, i tried many esoteric things like moving the PSU cables (hopping a losen connection make something happen), try pushing a little the RAM, slightly losen the CPU cooling, change thermal paste tube and other that i don't even remember.

Progress: I success to boot up the PC one time, check if the components were detected (and they was), saved, restart the PC and the issues reappear. The interesting thing is that at this moment, the "CPU" led turn on, followed by the "DRAM", then the "VGA", then the "BOOT" before the BIOS appear. I haven't success in reproducing this since. Trying to boot it up multiple time, I noticed that sometime the "CPU" turn on, followed by the "DRAM" and remains stuck, sometime, only the "CPU " one, and sometime the "CPU" on turn off and no other turn on.

Can anyone save me ? Even if you give me ideas, I'll be grateful because I'm running out of ideas.

Last edited:
Hi again !
I thank you for the responses and apologize for the time I took to answer, life is hard.

After this message I decided to send back the CPU and the motherboard (less risk of futur issues I thought, but in the end just more issues with the supplier). So i changed all the setup, installed the new components aaaaaaaand ... same issue. This time the BIOS doesn't show up, even shortly, and the "CPU" led still lighted up.

Concerning the BIOS update, I did after the change of components. So i downloaded the "7B86vP6" version of the BIOS on the official MSI website, unziped it, renamed the "E7B86AMS.P60" file into "MSI.ROM" and put it on a freshly formatted usb key (32Go). After that, i booted up the PC with the same result as before BUT, that was not the "CPU" led that was lighed up, that was the "DRAM" one.

So, trying desperately to resolve all of this, i tried many esoteric things like moving the PSU cables (hopping a losen connection make something happen), try pushing a little the RAM, slightly losen the CPU cooling, change thermal paste tube and other that i don't even remember.

Progress: I success to boot up the PC one time, check if the components were detected (and they was), saved, restart the PC and the issues reappear. The interesting thing is that at this moment, the "CPU" led turn on, followed by the "DRAM", then the "VGA", then the "BOOT" before the BIOS appear. I haven't success in reproducing this since. Trying to boot it up multiple time, I noticed that sometime the "CPU" turn on, followed by the "DRAM" and remains stuck, sometime, only the "CPU " one, and sometime the "CPU" on turn off and no other turn on.

Can anyone save me ? Even if you give me ideas, I'll be grateful because I'm running out of ideas.

what is the motherboard your using now and cpu ? are they both the same. and which cooler are you using ?

if possible take a snap shot of the system so we can see if theres anything amiss

Oct 31, 2023
what is the motherboard your using now and cpu ? are they both the same. and which cooler are you using ?

if possible take a snap shot of the system so we can see if theres anything amiss
They are the same than the previous: the MSI B550 Gaming GEN3 and an AMD Ryzen 5 5500
The CPU cooler is a strange one: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB, could it be the faulty one ?

Here are the photos of the installation, I tried to cover as many connections as possible but the view isn't great.
View: https://imgur.com/a/N7uQFOX

They are the same than the previous: the MSI B550 Gaming GEN3 and an AMD Ryzen 5 5500
The CPU cooler is a strange one: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB, could it be the faulty one ?

Here are the photos of the installation, I tried to cover as many connections as possible but the view isn't great.
cpu header doesnt look like its pushed in all the way the pins are slightly outside of the housing you can see that in picture one

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023

No, there's nothing strange about that Thermalright HSF, it's a capable budget unit. Honestly, it's your RAM (and in the future, possibly SSD) that I suspect are causing trouble.

Try booting the system with just one stick of RAM. If it boots, go in to BIOS and raise DRAM voltage . 05v, then shut down, put the other stick in, and try to boot again. If it gives you trouble I recommend returning the Corsair Vengeance kit and getting wondering from G.Skill's Ripjaws or Trident line. Corsair Vengeance and AM4 systems just don't seem to get along.

Oct 31, 2023
cpu header doesnt look like its pushed in all the way the pins are slightly outside of the housing you can see that in picture one
I didn't notice that thank you, unfortunatly after connecting it more securely it didn't change the issue.

No, there's nothing strange about that Thermalright HSF, it's a capable budget unit. Honestly, it's your RAM (and in the future, possibly SSD) that I suspect are causing trouble.

Try booting the system with just one stick of RAM. If it boots, go in to BIOS and raise DRAM voltage . 05v, then shut down, put the other stick in, and try to boot again. If it gives you trouble I recommend returning the Corsair Vengeance kit and getting wondering from G.Skill's Ripjaws or Trident line. Corsair Vengeance and AM4 systems just don't seem to get along.
So you are actually the hero I needed. Trying with 1 stick of RAM cause the PC to boot up everytime. The downside is that i can't put the 2nd stick without having the same issues than before, even rising up the voltage from 1.200V to 1.250V, so I think it's time for another return to supplier.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, the RAM I used are not very suitable for AM4 socket (strange since my own pc work with the very same RAM sticks on a X-570-A Pro with Ryzen 3700X), so the better way to have functionnal RAM is to jump to another brand like the G.Skill's Ripjaws or Trident line, am I right ? So, logically, changing RAM will make the PC work fine without having to put only 1 stick of RAM ? Checking the prices of the RAM you mentionned, I noticed that the g.skill ripjaws are affordable but not low profile (more than 2x the original price if I pick the new low profile ones) which is strictly necessary since the CPU cooler is hudge, and the Trident line are overpriced. Based on your recommandation are they other brand that will not suffer of the same issues than the actual ones but low profile and affordable ?

Thank you again for clearing up my situation !

kira-faye

Upstanding
Oct 11, 2023
I didn't notice that thank you, unfortunatly after connecting it more securely it didn't change the issue.

So you are actually the hero I needed. Trying with 1 stick of RAM cause the PC to boot up everytime. The downside is that i can't put the 2nd stick without having the same issues than before, even rising up the voltage from 1.200V to 1.250V, so I think it's time for another return to supplier.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, the RAM I used are not very suitable for AM4 socket (strange since my own pc work with the very same RAM sticks on a X-570-A Pro with Ryzen 3700X), so the better way to have functionnal RAM is to jump to another brand like the G.Skill's Ripjaws or Trident line, am I right ? So, logically, changing RAM will make the PC work fine without having to put only 1 stick of RAM ? Checking the prices of the RAM you mentionned, I noticed that the g.skill ripjaws are affordable but not low profile (more than 2x the original price if I pick the new low profile ones) which is strictly necessary since the CPU cooler is hudge, and the Trident line are overpriced. Based on your recommandation are they other brand that will not suffer of the same issues than the actual ones but low profile and affordable ?

It's not that the Vengeance kits are "incompatible" as such, they /should/ work and I bet if you got in contact with Corsair they would tell you that they /will/, but from what I've seen people seem to have a lot of problems with them. Some systems they're fine, others they aren't, as you've seen.

The Ripjaws line aren't very tall, I bet they will fit under your CPU heatsink; I use a kit of Ripjaws V with it. It's a hassle getting the sticks closest to the socket in, but not undoable, and worst case you can always take the heatsink off temporarily. If one of the fans gets in the way you may have to shift it up slightly, but not a big deal.

nothing to do with ram kits its boards

i have 3 motherboards

msi ive tried diffrent kits with are hit and miss ive taken the same kits and they work fine on boards below.
asrock. both kits run fine
gigabyte both kits run fine

im a builder of pcs out of every vendor i have had msi is the worse for ram compatibility.

so maybe try a different board vendor.