'Sega Forever' Brings Classic Games To Mobile Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodroses

Distinguished
Very cool as I've downloaded the 5 released so far. While I already have them through normal emulation, the cloud save feature is very handy and worth the ads/purchase. It is irritating that Phantasy Star II's audio is off compared to the original console though, but so far that appears to be the only game that I've noticed that problem.

cfenton

Prominent
Jun 20, 2017
$2 per game seems like a good price, especially since you don't have to buy them in bundles. Adding features like cloud-saves also gives people a reason to buy these versions instead of just playing ROMs.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I feel like they missed the main market window for this - back when cell phones were fast enough to run the emulators, but too weak to play anything much better than old 8-bit and 16-bit games.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Sound emulation is one of the trickiest aspects of the Genesis to get perfect. Heck, even different revisions of the sound chip in physical Genesis/Megadrive units altered the sound a bit. I prefer my Model 2 overall, but there are certain titles where my old Model 1 was better (assuming you used a y-splitter and used the front output or otherwise modded it for stereo). I no longer have the Model 1 though, have a matching Model 2 Sega CD and ended up selling the Model 1.

Anyway, I would bet the sound emulation simply isn't very accurate (in general) in the emulator they have licensed. It's just a lot more noticeable in certain games. PS II is a good title to test for sound accuracy, the intro music right off the bat reveals weaknesses in emulators. I have PS I-IV on cartridge... although I don't have PS I repackaged for the Megadrive (was literally the SMS version running on the MD - used the MD's backwards compatibility but in a special edition cart instead of the adapter).

On the PC we have essentially perfect emulation with Fusion (especially with a few settings adjusted), though I haven't run it on Win10 to verify it works OK. Worse case run it on a VM. :D

Sega has already ported Saturn games to PC in the past. It's not impossible if you have the source. With that being said the effort to port an old game is no longer worth it, so they use emulators. Even though it's a very complex piece of hardware, there are competent emulators out there and Sega themselves had purchased one a while back. They used it for a while for an online gaming service that offered some Saturn titles. They could do even better with a more modern emulator. They would probably have to limit it to devices with high-end SoCs and there would be some limitations. So who knows if they'll bother - but it is feasible.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

I believe they are right on time, if just a bit late: Super Mario Run was launched recently, and wasn't that good, they are launching a new Genesis/Mega Drive with all the features we want, people need fun games not graphics games, and emulation never was mainstream.

Great features, great games, great price: Sega got it right for a change hehehe

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You sound like you want it for the nostalgia. That's great, but I think most folks who didn't play these games the first time aren't going to start playing them now.

There was a time when cell phones had about the same resolutions and a fair bit more horsepower than 16-bit and 32-bit consoles. If they'd ported their games at that time, they could've been the best mobile games available and would've gained huge new audiences.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Yeah! For example, Nintendo will NEVER sell any of those retro NES consoles. Nobody over 25 plays games, let alone classic titles. :p

Also: While resolution might have been low, so was display size. Playing console games designed for a TV and controller on a tiny screen with your thumbs in the way (simulated controller via touch input)? Yeah, that was so awesome. I bought a BT controller so I wouldn't have to put up with that BS. Back in the 4"-ish (or smaller) display era either physical keys or a BT controller was a must for me. Now the displays are large enough that it is tolerable, especially if they've tweaked games for it. Still would prefer a controller.

Anyway I agree with cfenton on pricing. Free with ads or ad-free for $2? I think they nailed it

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No, what I was saying is that the people buying those things (and playing these games) are the same people who played them the first time around.

If most of the good 16-bit console games had been ported to phones like 10 years ago, you'd have gotten a whole new generation playing them + the older folks who played them back in the day.

Well, old games tend to look pretty awful on big, HDTVs. So, I think a small screen is probably a plus for most of them. How small, I can't really say. I do think 1080p is wasted on a 5" screen, so 4" sounds pretty good.

As for the control scheme, that would be the benefit of these guys having the actual source code - perhaps they could tweak it to be more phone-friendly.

Anyway, it was just some idle speculation, on my part. I played 8-bit games enough, the first time around. I also had a SNes, but I was mostly into PC gaming by that point. The main thing I'm nostalgic about is video game music.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Even if there was a more ideal era, your current options are: A) Release now or B) Don't release now. There's still plenty of room for them to make money.

I wasn't talking about how they would look as much (although at smaller sizes in-game dialogue would be hard to read). Even on relatively large modern displays there are ways to make them bearable (scanline emulation and/or really good filters). But I digress. I have used genesis emulators on smartphones, and without a large display and/or a non-touch interface, they were bad. On sub-4" devices, after adding virtual touch buttons you were basically out of screen real estate and your fingers obstructed your view. Even at 4" or so it's not very good. Also touch controls emulating a d-pad are just very dissatisfying to use, particularly on small displays. Of course some devices had physical keys such as a slide out keyboard, which was OK. BT controller was still far better.

Even for titles where they have the source code... 16-bit and earlier era games still would largely have to be emulated. They were written to the metal, very specific to the 68K, VDP, Z80, YM2612, 76489 chips. They would at best make minor tweaks and customize the touch control layout on a per-game basis. With a large enough screen, I would recommend they limit the actual game window size and have the touch controls on the resulting unused screen real estate. Fighting games would still be a no-go without a controller, IMO.

If they had decided to do this a decade or so ago, I'd have suggested they require a physical controller to be present for the game to function. I would be happy with that be it has drawbacks and limits their audience, for sure.

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Nothing more hypocritical than when Tomshardware complains about ad supported! Have you seen your seething cesspool of a website lately? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.