Segate Backup plus 1tb making squeaky noise also not dectecting

kaveer rai

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Hello I am Kaveer Rai..

I have bought a external hardidsk 3 months back 'Seagate Backup Plus Slim' 1TB
I was transferring files to it and it seems like it hung my Mac when i tried to delete something off it at the same time... I had to force eject it (manually unplugged it) for the mac to get back to normal.

Since then the Hard disk simply wont detect but makes squeaky noises in the begining and more sound of reading the disk but the light never comes on or any sign of detection.

Tried plugging in to other laptops both windows and mac still the same.

Have important data in there and badly need to make it work or even recover it, kindly help

Thank you in advance

Solution
Hello,
I assume you have checked too in Disk utility for Mac or BIOS and Disk Management in Windows? Nothing there?

If nothing showing up, data recovery software will not work. The best next move, is to get the drive out of its enclosure and plug it in SATA directly on a motherboard, so windows. It can be enough for the drive to be seen. Note some drive have a usb "only" connector on their own PCB so no sata connection available.

Let us know if this works. There are other tools like MHDD that could help you to recover the data.

John7128

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Hello,
I assume you have checked too in Disk utility for Mac or BIOS and Disk Management in Windows? Nothing there?

If nothing showing up, data recovery software will not work. The best next move, is to get the drive out of its enclosure and plug it in SATA directly on a motherboard, so windows. It can be enough for the drive to be seen. Note some drive have a usb "only" connector on their own PCB so no sata connection available.

Let us know if this works. There are other tools like MHDD that could help you to recover the data.

Solution
Hi there kaveer rai,

This squeaky sound could indicate a mechanical flaw. If the data stored on the drive is really important, your safest bet would be to contact a data recovery company. Most of the HDD manufacturers have data recovery services or have some trusted data recovery partners. You can check that out.

If you don't really want to go with that option, you can consider what John7128 suggested.

I assume you've tried something as simple as just attaching the drive with a different cable.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

kaveer rai

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017

kaveer rai

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
I use a Mac machine and couldnt get through most of it ..because no only usb connector
and no idea how to use MHDD yet but will try

Thanks

kaveer rai

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Hello,

I did ty the cable change and that didnt work earlier tried now again still doesnt work.
about data recovery how expensive is that on Seagate would you happened to know ?

Thank you

John7128

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
Before you get to a data recovery services (that would cost you a minimum of 600USD), try to get the drive out of its external box and connect it to a motherboard. This is worth a try and often works.

When it comes to noises of hard drives, there is a common misconception that this is mechanical. This is not true. It can be but it also can be just a firmware issue (so more logical) or a system area corrupted so also in the logic area. It can be the PCB who is not working well (firmware most of time) so more electronic failure...and yes it can be mechanical (heads or preamp).
I have written a comprehensive guide on this topic.

Nov 14, 2019
Hi kaveer rai,

Have you able to fix this? i got the same problem I'm looking for solutions. Kindly share your steps/approach to get the important data back. I will be very thankful.

I am using Windows OS though.

Thanks.