select boot disc error

Jaymus

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I went to turn the computer on and it went straight to a prompt after the bios to select a boot drive. I rebooted and tried to get into the bios but the keyboard wouldnt work. I dont know enough to be able to say if its the hard drive or the motherboard. None of the USBs on the MB work and neither do the ones on the top of the case.

It's an Intel system running Windows 7.

Solution
Try your keyboard with a different computer/device, if possible just to make sure that it works. Try removing the CMOS battery as suggested in my previous post to see if you'd be able to use your BIOS afterwards.
Try the HDD with a different computer as well.

Other than that, you could get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer's customer support for more info. Another option would be to take your PC to a computer service shop and have it fully diagnosed.
Hey there, Jaymus.

So you can't boot even by using a bootable flash drive? It could be a mobo issue. Try removing the drive and open your BIOS afterwards, to see if you'd be able to do that. Try different SATA ports and different SATA cables (both power and data).
You could also try removing the CMOS battery in order to reset your BIOS and see if that fixes things up (there should be info on how to do that in the motherboard's User Manual).
Try the HDD with a different computer if possible, to see if it works properly. If you're able to get the other PC to recognize it, I'd advise you to backup your data, just to be on the safe side and download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool, to see what's the situation with the drive.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Jaymus

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
I only have the install disc, so I placed that in the drive but the USB ports won't read my keyboard so I'm unable to hit a key to set the boot drive

Try your keyboard with a different computer/device, if possible just to make sure that it works. Try removing the CMOS battery as suggested in my previous post to see if you'd be able to use your BIOS afterwards.
Try the HDD with a different computer as well.

Other than that, you could get in touch with the motherboard manufacturer's customer support for more info. Another option would be to take your PC to a computer service shop and have it fully diagnosed.

Solution

Jaymus

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Thank you so much for your help. I did as you said and it worked. I don't know why it all of a sudden did that, I'm just glad that it's holding up so far. Getting to the CMOS battery was a bit tricky but after removing the GPU I got it done. Sorry for the delay in replying, I work thirds and this is the first day off I've had in a while.

Again, thanks so much. You saved me grief and most importantly, MONEY!

Sure thing! I'm really glad I was able to help. Sorry for the delayed reply on my part as well, but I was away for several days.

While you have everything up and running, go ahead with the data backup if you haven't done so already. After that you can test the drive/s with a diagnostic tool (as suggested), just to make sure that there are no issues. You could also make sure that all the drivers for the mobo are up to date.

Cheers! :)