Select the driver to be installed.

greystealth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hello all,

I have spent over 6 hours on my own trying various BIOS settings and what not, but cannot figure this thing out.

I used to have an old HP build with "market" RAM and GPU and SSD.

Recently got an eVGA motherboard, and new GPU, and when I install Win7 Pro thru my installation disc, it says 'select the driver to be installed'. So, I put all the eVGA motherboard drivers and SATA drivers on a thumb drive, hooked it up to the back of my computer, tried to install from the drivers available, and then it said that the hardware was not detected on my machine...

Then I tried my wife's Win7 disc, thinking that my disc was corrupted. Same BS. I am so frustrated.

I have tried loading my SSD both as IDE and AHCI, and same issue.

Can someone please point me in the right direction??? I don't mind wiping my drives, I just want to use my damn computer.

mobo: eVGA FTW Z77
cpu: Intel 3770 3.5 GHZ i7
gpu: evGA 2GB 680 GTX
SSDs: Both Intel 840s
PSU: Antec 750 earth watts
ram: 16GB DDR3 1333mhz (4 x 4) 9-9-9-24

Oh, and, EVGA was useless when I called their support team. So was Microsoft.

greystealth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Sadly yes, I tried a brand new SSD with nothing on it, and am having the same problem.

So frustrated. Supposedly it's a common issue on the Internet but there doesn't seem to be any one golden solution to fix this mess...

I will even paypal $50 to any person who can help me fix this.....

I had that issue too - I don't remember exactly what I did to get around it, but I believe I just told it to cancel till it behaved.

EDIT: I think I remember - I was booting from USB and the download of the .iso had gotten interrupted - I re-downloaded the iso and put it on the USB stick again and it worked perfectly. Perhaps try that solution?

greystealth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Thanks DarkSable, I might try the iso method...though it was odd to me that an ISO would work better than 2(mine and my wifes) authentic OEM discs...

Also, is there a way to put the ISO on a thumb drive and have my OS boot directly from the ISO? Or does it have to be "mounted" in such a way so my computer reads the image as if it were a disc?

Thanks. Also, when I hit "cancel" or close out of the "select a driver box" it just brings me back to the install screen. But I haven't actually kept doing it till it works. Guess I'll try that method 6 or 7 times and see what happens....

Damn, and all this time I thought Windows got smart enough to avoid all this BS....

greystealth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Oh geeez. Here's the latest.
1) couldn't load the ISO, even after using a tool
2) "bricked" my 16GB thumb drive, let's not discuss
3) wife's computer works fine with the win7 install....
4) RMA'ing the motherboard...
5) Do you REALLLLY think it's my optical drive, more than my mobo?