Question Selling an old HP Motherboard

Aug 20, 2024
Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I am thinking of selling an older HP motherboard but on the bottom of my case is a FeatureByte. What exactly is this for? Is it just a unique serial number for my motherboard or is it used by Windows for something? Do I need to give the buyer a photo of this code for them to input somewhere or can they just swap out the board with theirs without it and have no issues?

Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if you only sell the MoBo and it isn't vanilla/default, as it would be written in Feature Byte shell, then i don't see much point including that.
The primary function of the Feature byte is to provide a comprehensive description of the system's hardware and feature set. This includes certain software entitlements that are included with the device. This includes entitlements such as HP Wolf Pro Security and HP Wolf Protect & Trace with Connect.
E.g format the drive or when you only sell the MoBo, there wouldn't be any software that comes with it. Thus invalidating the data within Feature Byte. (Since it also includes certain software, which was pre-installed by HP during assembly of the system and prior to the initial sale to the consumer.)