Question Selling PC - SSD and OS question

Mar 23, 2023
I am going to sell my pc, but before I do, I would like to replace the current storage with a new SSD, as to avoid the new owner having any way of accessing my files. But I know that when I replace the storage the PC will be without an OS, and I would like to sell it with windows pre-installed as to not confuse the potential buyer. Not sure what to do regarding this, should I just remove the old storage and put the new ssd in, or should I install and initialise the new SSD first, and then remove the current drives? Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
I am going to sell my pc, but before I do, I would like to replace the current storage with a new SSD, as to avoid the new owner having any way of accessing my files. But I know that when I replace the storage the PC will be without an OS, and I would like to sell it with windows pre-installed as to not confuse the potential buyer. Not sure what to do regarding this, should I just remove the old storage and put the new ssd in, or should I install and initialise the new SSD first, and then remove the current drives? Thanks!
Install the OS, with ONLY this new drive connected.

When it gets to the the first reboot, power OFF.

Mar 23, 2023
Are you selling it with, or without, the OS license? (~$100)

Without I am pretty sure, as am I right in assuming my windows license is linked to my microsoft account?

If this is the case it would be without, however I want it so that as soon as they turn on the pc they just have to input their details and it all be ready. So im assuming that means i would need to sell with a windows license too.

USAFRet

Titan
Without I am pretty sure, as am I right in assuming my windows license is linked to my microsoft account?

If this is the case it would be without, however I want it so that as soon as they turn on the pc they just have to input their details and it all be ready. So im assuming that means i would need to sell with a windows license too.
Then they would have to purchase a license for it.

Might be easier if you bumped up the price, to cover you buying a new license key from Microsoft.

You CAN install it without the license key, but thats more hassle on them.

Mar 23, 2023
Then they would have to purchase a license for it.

Might be easier if you bumped up the price, to cover you buying a new license key from Microsoft.

You CAN install it without the license key, but thats more hassle on them.

Okay, I dont mind buying a license for them as i would like to sell it with as little hassle for them.

So if I just remove the current drives, put the new ssd in, plug in a windows 11 installation usb, boot it, input a license key - it should be good to go?

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, I dont mind buying a license for them as i would like to sell it with as little hassle for them.

So if I just remove the current drives, put the new ssd in, plug in a windows 11 installation usb, boot it, input a license key - it should be good to go?
Yep.

And stop when it wants to reboot.
Before it gets to the "Hi" part.

(this is Win 10, but 99% the same)

Mar 23, 2023
Yep.

And stop when it wants to reboot.
Before it gets to the "Hi" part.

And just to make sure, roughly how much will it cost me to create a windows 11 usb? And also how would I do that?

USAFRet

Titan

neojack

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
If you bought the computer initialy in a store, it comes with a licence attached to the motherboard.
you can try to isntall windows, unplug it from the internet. follow the menus (say "i dont have internet" in order to be able to create a local account), access to the desktop, THEN connect it to the internet and check in the settings menu if windows is activated. Most of the time it would be.

See this video if you need help for installing windows. not my favorite youtuber but it's oriented to beginers :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhHtHMQygzE

see at 13:00 for installing windows and skipping the MS account input