Selling PCs and parts on ebay?

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
Going to be upgrading my PC and I’m going to have my old CPU & motherboard left over so I’d like to sell it on eBay. Never really shipped that before. Is it better to remove the CPU and heat sink and sell everything separately? Or keep it and sell it as a MB/CPU combo.

like, can I ship the board with the CPU and fan still attached if I pack it real good? Or is it safer to take it all apart and package everything separately?

Or would it be better to buy a new case, ram, etc, and try to sell it as a full system? It’s an Asrock fatality z-170 itx board with a i5-6500 & noctua fan.. so I could get a small itx case and other things I need for around $400, and maybe sell it all for $700? Or do the separate parts generally sell better?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I usually sell the parts individually. Never had an issue with parts getting damaged, just be careful and pack them well. You can also usually get more $$ for the parts if you sell them separately.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I don't even have the original motherboard box or instructions .. no socket cover or anything else that came with it. My new board is the asus strix 390 itx board.. maybe the socket cover from that will fit? But yeah I guess it's probably better to keep it all connected so no pins can get messed up. I was planning to pack it in a static bag and then sandwich that eggshell foam. Or maybe just use the new motherboard's box? Kinda surprised to see that the old CPU NIB is going for around the same price as a new 9th gen i5.

I also have a 500 gb m.2 and 2 sata SSDs i'm going to be selling, switching to a new 2 tb m.2 so I can have everything all on 1 drive. So I'm thinking I would sell those all separately too. Really only keeping the ram and video card from the old system

Sell the motherboard and cpu installed.
Ram too if you will not reuse the ram.
Remove the cooler and offer it separately if it is a tower type.
If it is the intel stock cooler, leave it installed.

You can fit this in a medium flat rate usps shipping box.
If the stock cooler is installed pack it so that the cooler can not come loose.

I sold a motherboard/cpu/ram combo this way.

I would not try to add things to make it a full system.
You reduce the market since not all will be pleased with your case and other choices.

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I got rid of the stock fan a while back, it started buzzing loudly.. replaced it with the thin lower profile noctua fan so i think it's about the same height. Probably better to leave it attached.