Selling windows 8 / free 10 upgrade

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hello,
I'm selling my current system and want to sell windows with it.
It's a windows 8 upgrade that has the free windows 10 upgrade attached to it.

1.How do I sell it with my computer but have it no longer attached to me?
2.Will it keep the windows 10 upgrade? I think I read that it will.
3.Once it is no longer associated with me can I do a fresh install and let the new purchaser register it?

Solution
Yes, you can. It's just a little convoluted.
First, backup or transfer everything you want to save to external drive or another pc on network.
Second, Once you've backed up all the info you need, go to Settings > Update and security > Recovery. Reset this PC > Get Started > Remove files and Clean this PC. This'll set the pc back to OS only factory state, run through explorer to make doubly sure everything was erased that could possibly be tied to you.
Lastly, follow the link
account.microsoft.com/devices and remove your pc from the list as being registered to you.
The new owner will have to register under their own account at a later date. You'll also need to supply any and all original OEM restore/windows media that came with...

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

I have a new one already for the new build.

I want the current one off of my account so that none of my info is attached to it any more and so the new owner can register it.

Will "1)If you use MS online account to login, removed that." allow that and if so, could you explain how to do it?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you can. It's just a little convoluted.
First, backup or transfer everything you want to save to external drive or another pc on network.
Second, Once you've backed up all the info you need, go to Settings > Update and security > Recovery. Reset this PC > Get Started > Remove files and Clean this PC. This'll set the pc back to OS only factory state, run through explorer to make doubly sure everything was erased that could possibly be tied to you.
Lastly, follow the link
account.microsoft.com/devices and remove your pc from the list as being registered to you.
The new owner will have to register under their own account at a later date. You'll also need to supply any and all original OEM restore/windows media that came with the pc since the registration will be listed as an update not a standalone OS.

Solution

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

OK thank you,
I built the PC myself so there is nothing to give with it but I do have the windows 8 disk. I'll have to look for the disk of whatever full version of windows it was that I used to install the upgrade.