[SOLVED] Semicolon & Colon not being output to screen

Jan 25, 2020
Hi, just purhased new keyboard. I live in Spain but English. The keyboard is displaying the Semicolon & Colon would be output if I do Shift then press the apostraphe key or full-stop key. Instead I get > & <. The tag key outputs | & \. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

teclado-multimedia-fc-535-D_NQ_NP_632688-MLM31796221591_082019-F.jpg

Solution
That keyboard appears to use the Spanish QWERTY layout. While you speak English you are using a Spanish keyboard. So, you'll need to add the appropriate keyboard layout and remove the wrong one.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10

Just to clarify. There aren't a huge number mechanical layouts in keyboards. Rather the few key designs are used in visual layouts by multiple regions and languages. The labels printed on the keys are for your benefit. The OS itself can't tell what those labels are. All the OS knows is the mechanical layout. When you press the two keys it asks you to press at the initial keyboard setup. It's figuring out the mechanical layout.*

You have to choose a functional...
That keyboard appears to use the Spanish QWERTY layout. While you speak English you are using a Spanish keyboard. So, you'll need to add the appropriate keyboard layout and remove the wrong one.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10

Just to clarify. There aren't a huge number mechanical layouts in keyboards. Rather the few key designs are used in visual layouts by multiple regions and languages. The labels printed on the keys are for your benefit. The OS itself can't tell what those labels are. All the OS knows is the mechanical layout. When you press the two keys it asks you to press at the initial keyboard setup. It's figuring out the mechanical layout.*

You have to choose a functional layout which matches the visual layout printed on the keyboard. By default the OS will select the functional layout for your language and region settings. It does ask you when a new keyboard is plugged in if that is correct. But question is easily overlooked.

As an aside. If you get a keyboard with the wrong visual layout for your uses. You can get the appropriate sticker set and put those stickers on the keys to match your preferred settings. Just be sure to put the correct labels on the correct keys for your preferred layout. This is really useful for people who buy laptops on vacation in countries with a better selection or lower prices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#QWERTY

* I surmised that this is why the OS asks you to press those two keys. Perhaps it does this for a different reason than to determine the mechanical layout. I didn't care to research that point.

Solution
Jan 25, 2020
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Though have been through the above and still no joy.

The OS was purchased in England so OS was originally English.

Have typed all keys in shift mode and cannot locate the colon or semicolon.

Jan 25, 2020
Thanks for the reply, however, pleased to say after going through the keyboard a number of times I have found my precious Semicolon and Colon! It hides under the Ñ key. Many thanks to the pair of you for giving advice.

TRENDING THREADS