Senate Votes 50-48 To Allow ISPs To Sell Your Data

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm101

Prominent
Mar 24, 2017
Could this lead to a future where employers buy this data and discriminate against certain employees/refuse to hire based on their browsing history? Very disturbing.

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

There is a Dilbert comic about this.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I don't really mean to defend political parties, but I would say that characterizing them as cults isn't generally very accurate. People & politicians typically belong to them for pragmatic reasons, which isn't something you can say about a cult. In cults, individuals sacrifice their own interests for the good of the collective, but you don't generally see politicians doing such things.

Certain politicians definitely have a cult of personality, however.

BTW, I'm also not a joiner. I might join something for my own interests, but I'm allergic to secret societies or anything where I'd have to be invited or otherwise voted in by the members.

True I just got a little excited is all ;)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Speaking of secret societies, I noticed you and @weberdarren97 have the same sig pic, which Google Image Search tells me is cropped from the Judas Priest album, Turbo. Did one of you just copy it from the other, or is this some kind of PSU cult or something.

We are both big Judas Priest fans. I originally had the sig pic and I'm cool with him using it, too.

If you notice.... Turkey3_scratch's avatar is also from a Judas Priest album cover... from Hellbent for Leather.

jdlech

Honorable
May 31, 2016
Does this mean we can soon BUY those Senator's browsing history?
I recall when someone intercepted a Congressman's cell call with a simple scanner. Next thing you know, they banned scanners that could pick up cell phone freqs. It took just DAYS for them to pass the ban.
We know how to get them to act.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Why do you think the telecomms industry would bite the hand that feeds it? Or, perhaps a more accurate analogy would be to kick the dogs on its leash.

Now, as far as leaking the information of their opponents, that's something I'd worry about.

Or maybe hackers simply get access to ISPs' databases and it gets leaked that way. Certainly, the government will be able to obtain these records with warrants, FISA letters, etc. In effect, privacy violations by anyone easily turns into privacy violations by the worst of them.

I think Germany's skepticism of surveillance is admirable & something I wish we could emulate.

CaptCalamity

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016

What is the likelyhood of these ISP's biting the hands that give them free things like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.