Send to 31/2 Floppy A

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Good thinking.

....Alan

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Mart"
<mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>At this point, I guess Harry ought to add a new item in the 'Send To' list,
>to take account of the 'new' folder on the A: disk (A:\newfolder\ ) -
>otherwise 'Send To : 3 1/2 Floppy:' will continue to try write to the root
>of the A: disk (A:\ )
>
>see 'How to Add Items to the "Send To" List'
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141017
>
>Mart
>

>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> File-New-Folder
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "webster72n"
>> <hbethke@copper.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Rick:
>>>The more I hear about this, the better I understand it.
>>>Alan had the right directions, only, I didn't understand because of my
>>>limited knowledge on the subject.
>>>I will have to find out how to create a subdirectory.
>>>Thanks a million.
>>>
>>> Harry.

Alan:
I really appreciate your assistance with my problem.
Thanks much.

Harry.

> Good thinking.
>
> ...Alan
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Mart"
> <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
> >At this point, I guess Harry ought to add a new item in the 'Send To'
list,
> >to take account of the 'new' folder on the A: disk (A:\newfolder\ ) -
> >otherwise 'Send To : 3 1/2 Floppy:' will continue to try write to the
root
> >of the A: disk (A:\ )
> >
> >see 'How to Add Items to the "Send To" List'
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141017
> >
> >Mart
> >

> >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> >> File-New-Folder
> >>
> >> ...Alan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Root directories in all versions of FAT are limited, IIRC to 108 entries or
less

Ah - (from KB75131)
Formatted Capacity 720K 1.44 MB 2.88 MB
# of Heads (Sides) 2 2 2
# of Cyls (Tracks) 80 80 80
# of Sectors/Track 9 18 36
Total # of Sectors 1440 2880 5760
# of Free Sectors 1426 2847 5726
# Sectors/Cluster 2 1 2
Total # of Clusters 713 2847 2863
# Sectors/FAT 3 9 9
# of FAT Copies 2 2 2
# of Root Dir Sectors 7 14 15
# Reserved Sectors 1 1 1
# of Hidden Sectors 0 0 0
# of Bytes/Sector 512 512 512
# of Bytes/Cluster 1024 512 1024
# Root Dir Entries 112 224 240
Media Descriptor F9 F0 F0
Recorded Density Double High High
MS-DOS Version Began 3.20 3.30 5.00
DRIVER.SYS Switch /F:2 /F:7 /F:9
FORMAT.EXE Switch /F:720 /F:1.44 /F:2.88
Change-Line Support YES YES YES
If you then start using LFN's, the number of entries reduces rapidly, since
depending on the length, each file will use 2 or even three entries.

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Alan Edwards wrote:
>> 140 files??????????????
>> That will exceed the floppy capacity if you have mainly LFNs.
>> Didn't you read my first response?
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
> neat I din't know that...
>
> how about subdirectories ? (doesn't mention in the MSKB article)
>

> Rick

108 Noel???
Your data does not indicate that to me as it corresponds with the KB
article I quoted.
MS-DOS: Directory and Subdirectory Limitations
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q39927/

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Noel Paton"
<NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Root directories in all versions of FAT are limited, IIRC to 108 entries or
>less
>
>Formatted Capacity 720K 1.44 MB 2.88 MB

># Root Dir Entries 112 224 240

>If you then start using LFN's, the number of entries reduces rapidly, since
>depending on the length, each file will use 2 or even three entries.

Why "Root directories in all versions of FAT" when the above is for
FAT12 and FAT16 allows 512 entries and FAT32 allows around 65,535
(give or take one)?

Am I missing something? (Probably, as it is Saturday night here and I
tend to miss a few things then)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

That was written rather on the fly - and I forgot to go back and edit the
intro<g>

--

"Heather" <figgs@invalid.invalid> in news:OKobE8pVFHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> Yes....use the IE-File-Export.

or make the file really small: zip... or 7-zip, but only if you will have ability to later unzip.