[SOLVED] Separate backups for an HDD/SSD set up

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Hi all, I'm building a setup with an SSD and HDD. The SSD will contain OS and certain programs (photo editing, some games) while the HDD will be reserved for less resource intensive programs and personal files.

The hypothetical scenario in my mind is that each drive would have its own separate backup and in the event of a drive failing or becoming corrupted, they can be restored independently. I've been reading other threads on this topic and other people have suggested a single system image could be done via third party software. Is my idea workable and what would I need to
consider if I were to create separate backups?

Solution
Hi all, I'm building a setup with an SSD and HDD. The SSD will contain OS and certain programs (photo editing, some games) while the HDD will be reserved for less resource intensive programs and personal files.

The hypothetical scenario in my mind is that each drive would have its own separate backup and in the event of a drive failing or becoming corrupted, they can be restored independently. I've been reading other threads on this topic and other people have suggested a single system image could be done via third party software. Is my idea workable and what would I need to
Macrium Reflect does this easily.

Read here...

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015
Thanks for the input. I've read that it's possible to create separate partitions on an external hard drive and allocate them to backups of an HDD and SSD. In the event of the boot drive, the SSD in my case, failing then it's a relatively simple case of restoring from the backup. Should the HDD fail, I should still be able to boot from the SSD but how do I restore the HDD contents? Do I simply use Windows' update & recovery feature, select my backup drive and the internal drive to restore to? It's probably obvious but I've always been used to a single drive setup.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan

Read here:

Solution

omegaglory1

Distinguished
May 5, 2015

Read here:
Thanks, I'll give that a try. The external drive for making a backup needs to be the same size as the target drive. If I were to have a 1TB HDD an a 500GB SSD, will having a 2TB external drive be adequate for the purpose of backing up both drives using this method?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, I'll give that a try. The external drive for making a backup needs to be the same size as the target drive. If I were to have a 1TB HDD an a 500GB SSD, will having a 2TB external drive be adequate for the purpose of backing up both drives using this method?
For the backup Images, it does NOT need to be the same size as the source.
A Macrium Image results in a dingle file.

All of my house systems back up to a single folder tree on my NAS box.
1 top level folder for each system, and then a sub folder for each individual drives.
These folders hold the initial Full image, and then a series of Incremental or Differential.

Your 2TB will be sufficient.