Question Separate Outlook 2010 email accounts

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi.

I have multiple users on my desktop (windows 10). Other programs only access files on a specific user account and they're not there if I switch user. However, Outlook 2010 is not doing that! It wants to access the email address on another users account.

I removed the email address, but to do that I had to save a data file (this shows in Outlook, can't seem to get rid of it, but there's nothing in it for some reason). This is in a shared folder. However, the other user account is still attempting to connect to this, says it has no access and Outlook won't load.

How do I get it to stop doing that and just open so I can set up an email specifically for that user account only?

Thanks.

Hi.

I have multiple users on my desktop (windows 10). Other programs only access files on a specific user account and they're not there if I switch user. However, Outlook 2010 is not doing that! It wants to access the email address on another users account.

I removed the email address, but to do that I had to save a data file (this shows in Outlook, can't seem to get rid of it, but there's nothing in it for some reason). This is in a shared folder. However, the other user account is still attempting to connect to this, says it has no access and Outlook won't load.

How do I get it to stop doing that and just open so I can set up an email specifically for that user account only?

Thanks.

Try creating a new profile in the Mail control panel. Which is located in Control Panel in Windows. After you create the profile. Change the setting for Always Use This Profile to the new profile. You'll need to add all e-mail addresses you want to the new profile.

If you have an existing PST you need access to. You'll need to add it to your profile. Which can be done through the same control panel if you edit the new profile. You can also manage PST (data files) within Outlook. I don't think adding the data file would bring back the problematic e-mail. But could not say definitely. It should just bring back the data (old e-mails, contacts, &c).

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Try creating a new profile in the Mail control panel. Which is located in Control Panel in Windows. After you create the profile. Change the setting for Always Use This Profile to the new profile. You'll need to add all e-mail addresses you want to the new profile.

If you have an existing PST you need access to. You'll need to add it to your profile. Which can be done through the same control panel if you edit the new profile. You can also manage PST (data files) within Outlook. I don't think adding the data file would bring back the problematic e-mail. But could not say definitely. It should just bring back the data (old e-mails, contacts, &c).

Thanks!

I went to control panel, searched mail, then clicked on the profiles and added a new profile. That then allowed me to add the details of the email address I wanted to use and open up Outlook on the other users account. It's working fine with no details of the first email address there.

I just don't understand why Outlook in any way connects the two! In every other way each user account is separate. To have to go through the control panel rather than being able to open the program you actually want seems a really weird way of doing it as well. Glad it's working now though.

Thanks!

I went to control panel, searched mail, then clicked on the profiles and added a new profile. That then allowed me to add the details of the email address I wanted to use and open up Outlook on the other users account. It's working fine with no details of the first email address there.

I just don't understand why Outlook in any way connects the two! In every other way each user account is separate. To have to go through the control panel rather than being able to open the program you actually want seems a really weird way of doing it as well. Glad it's working now though.

They way you explained how things were setup is a bit confusing. If Outlook is loaded on a user profile the file Outlook is using to store the information is in use by Outlook on the account it was setup for, and so is the location of that file for the user. That file is also linked to the user profile in outlook with some registry entries. If you want to setup Outlook on another user account on the same machine you will need to create the email profile for that other user so Outlook can create it's own file and profile for that user. Outlook does not connect anything between the two profiles, or should not, but you may have been doing some things we don't know about to cause the issues. How you explained things were done in the posts is not very clear as to exactly what you did.

If you have two users and both are accessing the same email account, you just need to open Outlook on one, configure the email for that use. Logon to the other Windows account, start Outlook there and configure the email the same way for the second user. As long as you don't have options set to delete emails once they are downloaded to the computer both accounts will see the same emails all the time.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I use both accounts, but for ease of explaining, I have user 1 and user 2. Both have their own email addresses they want to use in Outlook. They only want access to their own.

User 1 opened Outlook on their account, put in their email address details and used that.

User 2 then went to open Outlook on their account, but it came up with user 1s email address, wanted their password, but then said they didn't have access anyway after giving the password. Upon opening Outlook there were no other options for adding their own address, only for signing into User 1s account.

User 1 then tried to delete their email address from their account through Outlook. It made them create a save data file. This file was showing as empty in outlook. It was saved to an area where all user accounts have access to the files there. Outlook allowed the email address to be deleted and stated no account was on there.

User 2 tried to open Outlook on their account. It still came up with User 1s email address. Again, password given, but it said it couldn't give access due to the data file not being in a shared area. Outlook closed itself.

User 2 then had to go to the control panel, search for Mail, go to profiles and add their email from there.

User 2 could then go to Outlook and sign in to their email address. There was no sign of User 1s email address or data.

User 2 has then deleted their email address from Outlook through the control panel. Now when they open Outlook it is asking for the details of User 1s email address again and denying access.

I don't know why User 2 keeps seeing User 1s email address, nor why it refuses to access it when given the password and as it can access the data file.

With, for example, Microsoft Word, User 1 had files 1, 2 and 3. When User 2 went on their account and clicked Microsoft Word they had no files listed until User 2 created some. User 2 then created files A, B and C. Even if saved in the shared area, User 1 never sees User 2s files listed in the program and User 2 never sees User 1s files listed (unless, of course, they click open and go through shared files). Each user would never know if the other user had ever used the program because there was no link, the programs are completely separate.

Outlook should be the same, but it's not.