[SOLVED] Separating WIFI and LAN internet with dual wan connection ?

armandocvalli

Honorable
Nov 24, 2015
Hello everyone,
i have two internet connections witch I'm using them in dual wan mode.

i wanted to know if it's possible to access internet over LAN via connection A, while giving access to wireless devices via connection B.

have to add that I'm using Asus N66U wireless router.

thanks in advance.

Solution
I forget what ability asus has in the base code on that router for dual wan support. I am pretty sure third party firmware like dd-wrt can do it but it depends on exactly which hardware revision of n66u you have. You need to really read the details, I wish companies would not make major changes and keep the name the same.

In any case assuming you somehow get a router that supports dual wan I have not seen one that you can tell it ethernet uses this connection and wifi uses the other. Although you would think the routers could tell which users were connected via which interface most you must use IP addresses of the devices and not how they connect. You could I suppose get even more fancy and define different IP ranges but...

borris618

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
the simplest (and probably only) way to achieve this would be to get another router and manage them seperately.
How is the setup now? doesnt the Asus N66U only have one wan port?

Ralston18

Titan
By "two internet connections" you mean you have two ISP's providing service to your location?

Or one ISP providing two separate physical drops to your location?

What are you trying to do with respect to the stated requirements? Why the wired/wireless separation?

More information needed.

I forget what ability asus has in the base code on that router for dual wan support. I am pretty sure third party firmware like dd-wrt can do it but it depends on exactly which hardware revision of n66u you have. You need to really read the details, I wish companies would not make major changes and keep the name the same.

In any case assuming you somehow get a router that supports dual wan I have not seen one that you can tell it ethernet uses this connection and wifi uses the other. Although you would think the routers could tell which users were connected via which interface most you must use IP addresses of the devices and not how they connect. You could I suppose get even more fancy and define different IP ranges but this gets complex very fast.

I would see if there were any other way to do this maybe with mulitple routers.

Solution