SERIAL! AUGH!

G

OK - I have had it. I have all sorts of neat-o things that I would like to attach to my PC. BUT I only have 2 serial ports. 1 for modem, 1 for Palm cradle. Done. But I also have an X-10 controller, a frequency scanner, and a Lego Robotics interface, and more! I am sick of swapping cables... and USB is just not a possibility. What about those multiple serial cards from DigiBoard - are they still around? Do they suck? Anyone using such a solution? What about IRQs? I can only give em 2! Argh. I can't believe I still have to worry about IRQs in this enlightened age of PCI bus negotiation! Phffft!

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you don't use them ALL at the same time, I'd just get a manual switchbox for about 15$ -- I have the same thing for my parallel port (printer, scanner, burner, etc), I've put it on the desk and it works great!
In fact, you know what, I'm gonna do the same for my serial (Palm, GPS, UPS, etc). I actually have only one serial port...:(
Thanx for the idea <G> :)

G

Well, sometimes the config programs need to be told what serial port it wants (and tends to hold onto them). Sigh. I still would like to use them all at once (or more than 2 at a time!) Seems to me that DigiBoard might offer a solution. I will check their website.