Serial port help requested

I'm trying to use a GPS waypoint download program on my Dell Dimension
4100 PC. When setting up the program, it tests the serial port on the
PC and says. "The serial port you selected is receiving data from an
unknown device. Make sure that no other devices (Palm computers,
digital cameras, etc.) are connected to the serial port."

Device Manager says the port is working properly with no conflicts.
And I have tried disabling all startup programs/items.

Any ideas on how to remedy this situation?

TIA

This link may help.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/portmon.shtml

--