Question Serious FPS drops ?

Jul 14, 2024

I'm having severe FPS drops (lags) and stuttering in my games, making it unbearable to play. Despite having high-end components, my gaming experience is far from smooth, and I'm at a loss for what to do next. Here's a detailed breakdown of the issue:​

System Specifications:​

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 4100
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Mobo: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

The Issue:​

1. FPS Drops:
    • My games can reach very high FPS (maybe up to +300), but they frequently drop to extremely low levels (as low as 4 FPS for example). This fluctuation is drastic and happens unpredictably, making it impossible to enjoy a game.
    • For example, in game, I can have a maximum FPS of 144, but it can suddenly drop to single digits.
  2. Stuttering & Delays:
    • The game stutters and freezes, especially noticeable when there are rapid actions, such as shooting. The screen and audio both freeze for about 1-2.4 seconds, which is incredibly driving me mad.

What I've Tried:​

• Reinstalling Drivers: I have reinstalled the latest drivers for my GPU, but the problem persists.
  • DirectX 12: I’m using DirectX 12 in game.
  • Settings Adjustments: I've adjusted various in-game settings and tried the lowest configurations, but doesn't resolve the issue.
  • Temperature Checks: All components are running within normal temperature ranges.

More Details:​

• The issue occurs regardless of the game's graphics settings or resolution.
  • I have no background applications consuming significant resources during gameplay.
  • All components are relatively new and should be capable of handling the games I play.

Possible Causes?​

• I don't know. I mean, I'm uncertain whether this is a hardware issue, a driver problem, or something else entirely. Could it be related to the power supply or a specific thing I'm overlooking?

I need help from y'all:​

• Has anyone else experienced similar issues with sudden FPS drops and stuttering despite having good hardware?
  • Are there any specific troubleshooting steps or diagnostics I should run to identify the cause of this problem?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Despite having high-end components
+
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 4100
That isn't a high end CPU.

Reinstalling Drivers: I have reinstalled the latest drivers for my GPU, but the problem persists.
Did you use DDU in Safe Mode? Reinstalling the latest driver sourced from AMD's support site in an elevated command?

You forgot to mention the titles that are experiencing the FPS drops.

We're currently on Windows 11, which Windows are you working with?

Might want to pass on a link to your ram kit and mention the BIOS version for your motherboard.

Jul 14, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!
My be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W PSU is now 2 years old.

It's still good for the needs, even if one say it's not a high-end product.

I have reinstalled the latest drivers, but problem persists.

Yes, I used DDU in Safe Mode to completely remove old drivers before reinstalling the latest driver sourced from AMD's support site with elevated command.
There's xtreme instability with FPS in titles like Fn, where FPS drops from +250 to as low as 4-0.

BIOS version: 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2024
What's the brand and model of the RAM?

What are the RAM settings in the BIOS of the motherboard?

What BIOS version is the motherboard running?
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

RAM settings:

• DRAM Frequency: 3200 MHz
  • CAS Latency (CL): 16
  • Voltage: 1.345V
  • BIOS version: 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Last edited: