Question Serious Issues with PC

Jul 26, 2024
I’ve been having a lot of stuttering issues with my games lately so I went to Best Buy to ask some questions about what could be wrong. Most people I talk with at Best Buy don’t seem to know much more than me but I was able to find someone who sounded pretty knowledgeable about building PCs.

I shows him my rig which has an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x CPU, 16GB Ram, and AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Graphics card. He was quick to point out that my CPU was basically trash and he couldn’t believe someone had that built in there. I didn’t know anything about PC hardware at all when I purchased my prebuilt but I did a good amount of research on what was a good starter PC and it led me to that choice.

So the guy recommended that I get a new cpu and see how that goes and he gives me what he thought was one of the best options. He wasn’t even trying to make a sale as the store didn’t have this particular CPU and he pointed me towards Amazon as they had a sale on a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8 core. It was a bit pricey but he promised results. I watched plenty of videos about the installation and I updated the Motherboards BIOS before switching them out, applied thermal paste accordingly, and when I booted up the PC, everything ran terribly slow. Without any game running my cpu temperature was 90 degrees C, and just booting up a main menu on COD ramped it up to 105 degrees C. Everything ran so terribly that I couldn’t hardly navigate the menu let alone play a game.

So I took that CPU out and put my old one in and it is running much better than the new one did but my game seem to stutter a bit more even but my temp only ever got to 65 to 70 degrees C when playing in game.

I hope someone can help me because I’m lost.

He was quick to point out that my CPU was basically trash and he couldn’t believe someone had that built in there
Welcome to you were better off before you went to Best Buy club.

Though your Ryzen 7 3700x CPU Is not the best top CPU it's still not crap either.

To be honest your system is well balanced.

Now to your issues
I’ve been having a lot of stuttering issues with my games lately so I went to Best Buy to ask some questions about what could be wrong.
Besides doing the CPU swaps back and forth you say your stuttering in games.

Can you say what games and if possible post a video of it stuttering on imgur.com and post link here.

Might help us get to a solution faster and the correct one to give you a helping hand. :)

Reactions: artk2219

js2

Jul 16, 2024
The guy just gave you an easy answer, instead of solution.

Your system was ok, just not optimised by shutting services and background tasks.

Reactions: artk2219

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What cpu cooler were you using to cool 5800x3D? I'm guessing the stock Wraith Prism cooler the 3700x came with being a pre-built unless you opted to change that initially when it got built. 5800x3D can sort of get away with stock cooler, it'll be on the warmer side of things though so hopefully your case has decent air flow to compensate, ie intake/ rear exhaust. An aftermarket cooler like Noctua u12a or others similar in cooling performance is recommended.

3700x isn't a bad processor as said, and i highly doubt that was the cause of your stutters. Thermal issues can cause stutters and so can the state of the operating system and programs installed.

So check heatsink is being mounted properly. All ram is accounted for and running at maximum speed, as in XMP if applicable. Check task manager for processes running abnormally high, sort highest to lowest. If you find something then you can search about that process by right clicking on it. Also check startup items in task manager and trial and error disable everything and enable one by one.

Run sfc / scannow in msdos prompt (cmd) to check and fix any corrupted system files. Type cmd in task bar and right click cmd application and run as administrator then type sfc / scannow.

Can try a reset and keep your files too, or completely reinstall Windows. Easy enough to do, there's simple tutorials for both Win10/11, whichever you're running, stickied in each sub forum category.