Serious problem with my USB please help!

Nathan Chase

Reputable
May 9, 2015
My USB is a 2TB Kingston DataTraveler 200 it was working for a while but then it stopped and I'm not sure what I did. I don't think its in read-only mode but i dont know how to tell (theres no switch on the usb that can
toggle it)

So I'm gonna try to list what i noticed whats wrong with the usb:

when i plug in the usb it says you need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it, do you want to format it? so i clicked format disk it shows

Capacity: it has a drop down bar with the only option being 8.00 MB

File system: with a drop down bar that has 3 different options
NTFS, FAT (Default), and exFAT.

Allocation unit size: has another drop down bar the options
64 kilobytes, 32 kilobytes, 16 kilobytes, 8192 bytes, 4096 bytes, 2048 bytes and Default allocation size

a button that says Restore device defaults

a text box titled Volume label (which i dont know what it is and it has nothing in it anyways)

Format options with 2 check boxes: quick format and one that isn't selectable that says Create an MS-DOS startup disk

There is also a loading bar that doesnt do anything because whenever i click the start button under it, it says
WARNING: Formatting will erase ALL data on this disk To format the disk, click OK. To quit, click CANCEL
so i click ok and then it says Windows was unable to complete the format
then i click ok again and tried every possible combination of settings
and it still said the same thing so then i clicked cancel and it said
Windows can't format F
Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them. again I'm not too sure if my usb is write protected or not and I dont know how to check

when I open the properties of Removable Disk F: (which is my USB)
the general tab says this:

Type: removable disk
File system: (nothing)

Used space: 0 bytes 0 bytes
Free space: 0 bytes 0 bytes

Capacity: 0 bytes 0 bytes
(and a fully blue colored pie chart with the word Drive F: underneath)

I can't format the usb Here is a list of applications i tried:

hp usb disk storage format tool
Macrorit Disk Partition Expert
BootIce
JetFlash OnLine Recovery
UsbFix (which i think got me a virus not too sure)
Microsoft Fixit
They all said it was unable to complete the format or there was some error

Heres a list of stuff I tried without an application

restarting computer
refreshing my computer (as a 2nd to last resort but with this being my last, LAST resort but i lost all my files and now i am sad)
doing a scan with advanced system care (pro version)
using the command prompt to format it
using safemode command prompt to format it
switching usb ports
read a bunch of forum posts that didn't help.

well thats all i really have to say about this but just so you know the usb was working for a couple days, and im sure i have tried everything any normal person would do so if anyone would be kind enough to help me out please try to tell me some options that are not obvious thanks.

Solution
Hi Nathan,
You have definitely gone above and beyond what most people would think to try to restore the USB drive. One major snafu here is that the DataTraveler 200 only ever came in 32GB-128GB capacity and the largest capacity flash drive we have ever made is only a 1TB (DataTraveler HyperX Predator). Which means the 2TB drive you received is more than likely counterfeit. We fight to reduce/eliminate counterfeit Kingston products available in the general market. If you can send me an email with a couple photos of both sides of the drive with the USB connector revealed I can confirm whether or not it is a valid product or not. If it is not valid, I can send you a PDF letter advising of this that you can use to dispute the purchase of...

kingstonhq

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Hi Nathan,
You have definitely gone above and beyond what most people would think to try to restore the USB drive. One major snafu here is that the DataTraveler 200 only ever came in 32GB-128GB capacity and the largest capacity flash drive we have ever made is only a 1TB (DataTraveler HyperX Predator). Which means the 2TB drive you received is more than likely counterfeit. We fight to reduce/eliminate counterfeit Kingston products available in the general market. If you can send me an email with a couple photos of both sides of the drive with the USB connector revealed I can confirm whether or not it is a valid product or not. If it is not valid, I can send you a PDF letter advising of this that you can use to dispute the purchase of the drive. You can email us directly at SocialCS@Kingston.com and put case SR236046 in the subject line.

If it turns out it is a valid Kingston drive and the capacity is just mistyped. We can work with you to see what else we may be able to try to get the drive working or replace it under it's five year warranty.

Thank you for selecting Kingston Flash Drives!
-Jewel, Kingston US Technical Support

Solution