[SOLVED] Serious question about cpu’s now and upcoming cpu releases for gaming ?

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
Hello guys . I am planning on getting a rtx 3080 ti when they release soon enough but first I need to use the funds I do have in building a rig that will have everything I need until it’s released . Yes I know it’s probably better to wait but my situation is better this way. I understand Amd and intel are releasing more processors this year but is there really going to be any real significance between there CPU’s now and the next line that they release ? I game at 1440p I don’t stream or do anything else . I know we don’t have the exact specs yet do we for the rtx 3080 ti’s or upcoming CPU’s but I am assuming if I got a rig built now with one of the latest processors it would be fine with an rtx 3080ti and the only difference between today’s latest cpu and upcoming releases would only be a mere 3fps at most in games correct ? Even if that ?

Solution
@ravanbakhsh

To further clarify, the video below perfectly proves my point, which compares the Ryzen 7 3700X vs the I7-9700K. Look at the usage percentage between the two cards. The usage rate is on average 30%-40% higher, some cases even higher that on the 9700K than the 3700X. Watchdogs 2 is the the only game where the usage is more or less equal. This is mostly to do with the 7nm architecture of the Ryzen 3000 series. Just think of the usage rate as the energy exerted. Due to the 3000 series weighing less, it doesn't exert as much energy which means less heat is produced while achieving largely the same benchmark. This means that a Ryzen 3000 CPU is far less likely to bottle neck your GPU in the future. If you aren't going to...
At 1440p the cpu is less of a differentiator as you are likely to be gpu limited. That’s how things are with a 2080Ti and I expect will be with a 3080Ti.

My own rig has a 3700x and 2080 Super running at 1440p. I am entirely gpu bound. Even cpu heavy games like cod MW or Gears 5 my cpu cores with the most load only reach average of about 60% usage while the gpu is maxed out.

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
At 1440p the cpu is less of a differentiator as you are likely to be gpu limited. That’s how things are with a 2080Ti and I expect will be with a 3080Ti.

My own rig has a 3700x and 2080 Super running at 1440p. I am entirely gpu bound. Even cpu heavy games like cod MW or Gears 5 my cpu cores with the most load only reach average of about 60% usage while the gpu is maxed out.

awesome response . Just for thought what kind of FPS do you draw in most games ?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
@ravndal15 I doubt you'll see that big of a difference in performance between the AMD's new CPU's and the current 3000 series. Next year however, things might be different. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for Nvidia's 3080 chips set either, as far as it being this leap in performance that will be worth mentioning, maybe a 30%-40% increase at best.

ravndal15

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2012
@ravndal15 I doubt you'll see that big of a difference in performance between the AMD's new CPU's and the current 3000 series. Next year however, things might be different. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for Nvidia's 3080 chips set either, as far as it being this leap in performance that will be worth mentioning, maybe a 30%-40% increase at best.

I am currently using a gtx 1080 ti so the upgrade of the graphics will be welcomed for me at least

you know after watching this video
View: https://youtu.be/GavruxewA4w

i discovered that the i9 9900k for instance uses around 50-60% of its usage mostly paired with a 8gb rtx 2080 oc . I am guessing that this would be fine for a rtx 3080 ti then ?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I am currently using a gtx 1080 ti so the upgrade of the graphics will be welcomed for me at least

you know after watching this video
View: https://youtu.be/GavruxewA4w

i discovered that the i9 9900k for instance uses around 50-60% of its usage mostly paired with a 8gb rtx 2080 oc . I am guessing that this would be fine for a rtx 3080 ti then ?

I honestly think you'd be better off either buying a Ryzen 3000 CPU since the architecture for them is brand new and more efficient, or waiting for Intel's answer to it. Right now, its the difference between two people competing in a marathon (this might be a bad analogy). One is 280 LB's, while the other is 230 LB's. Both are in good shape for their weight classes, but since the latter weighs much less, he is more efficient at performing the task. This is the advantage of the Ryzen 3000 series. It can achieve more or less the same benchmarks, or perform at the same rate as an Intel CPU without exerting as much energy, or as much heat because of the 7nm architecture, which makes it more future proof.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
@ravanbakhsh

To further clarify, the video below perfectly proves my point, which compares the Ryzen 7 3700X vs the I7-9700K. Look at the usage percentage between the two cards. The usage rate is on average 30%-40% higher, some cases even higher that on the 9700K than the 3700X. Watchdogs 2 is the the only game where the usage is more or less equal. This is mostly to do with the 7nm architecture of the Ryzen 3000 series. Just think of the usage rate as the energy exerted. Due to the 3000 series weighing less, it doesn't exert as much energy which means less heat is produced while achieving largely the same benchmark. This means that a Ryzen 3000 CPU is far less likely to bottle neck your GPU in the future. If you aren't going to wait for Intel to give a real response to AMD, then I would highly advise you just get a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umaK8ter5WU&t=422s

Reactions: Paulasami
Solution
Feb 21, 2020
@ravanbakhsh

To further clarify, the video below perfectly proves my point, which compares the Ryzen 7 3700X vs the I7-9700K. Look at the usage percentage between the two cards. The usage rate is on average 30%-40% higher, some cases even higher that on the 9700K than the 3700X. Watchdogs 2 is the the only game where the usage is more or less equal. This is mostly to do with the 7nm architecture of the Ryzen 3000 series. Just think of the usage rate as the energy exerted. Due to the 3000 series weighing less, it doesn't exert as much energy which means less heat is produced while achieving largely the same benchmark. This means that a Ryzen 3000 CPU is far less likely to bottle neck your GPU in the future. If you aren't going to wait for Intel to give a real response to AMD, then I would highly advise you just get a Ryzen 3000 CPU.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umaK8ter5WU&t=422s