Question Seriously screwed up?

May 28, 2019
I desperately need help, so couple days ago I got gta 5 for pc, noticed it has a memory leak issue and generally bad performance, I got 40-60 fps with constant stuttering, I was searching for tweaks to improve it and stop the constant stuttering of the game and happened upon a mod called fps booster, I'll post the link here https://www.gta5-mods.com/tools/gta-5-fps-booster

Now before anyone says it, I know I KNOW it was absolutely stupid to use it, to even download it, but that's exactly what i did, after putting it on the back burner and searching for other things to help, I eventually ran the mod, followed all the instructions to a T, now my computer is slowed down, and where I was getting 40-60fps, I now get 1 fps every few minutes, I ran the restore part of the so called mod to revert back to before it was used and my machine is still slow and the game still only outputs 1 fps every few minutes. One thing I thought was to delete and reinstall the game but I cannot do that if at all possible, seeing how the game is 80gb and it took 12 days to initially download with my Internet. If at all possible I'd like to get this fixed without taking the next month downloading it all over again and even then have the possibility of it doing the same as it is now. Any help is honestly appreciated because I can't afford to just tank my computer and get another one

May 28, 2019
I downloaded it from steam, and yes I done a full scan with my Antivirus software, that took around 5 hours to complete. Result was clean. I managed to fix the 1 fps every few minutes but my system is still slow and the game still progressively gets worse in performance but I'm able to play for around 15 minutes with perfect performance before it starts to go down hill, as for other things like opening folders and other files that still takes longer then it used to

May 28, 2019
It's an hp notebook with an i-3 6100U @ 2.30GHz processor, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram, 1tb hard drive (not sure if it's HDD or SSD) and an Intel 520 graphics card, and I know my specs are low, but I can play far cry 5 comfortably with my computer so I should be able to play gta 5 comfortably on low settings too

May 28, 2019
And yes all my drivers are up to date, something surprising is I had better performance with far cry 5 with older drivers up until the January update rolled out for Intel graphics cards

Apr 9, 2019
Do a verify game file on steam and see if that helps :).
If not it maybe faster for me to post you a USB with the clean game files on it from New Zealand with my 1Gb/s internet!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
GTA 5 is not a very well-optimized game in terms of graphics performance and stuttering with that hardware is not surprising I'd say. Playing it on Intel HD is not even possible without a crash on many systems.

As said above, see if verifying the game files with Steam would help. It should revert files that might be changed by the mod to their original state.

If you manage to fix it this way maybe the game being open world reducing some CPU-intensive settings/features like population density help a little.

May 28, 2019
I've verified the game files through steam and I've edited the settings xml to reduce graphic quality as much as possible and it's still a stuttering mess, the game runs fine for about 15 minutes and then all at once it starts getting worse until it's unplayable, to tell the truth I'm fine with 25 fps if I could get it stable, of course I am actively trying to get a better computer because I use this one for everything but with little to no income that's hard to do.

May 28, 2019
And yeah the Intel HD 520 has my system bottlenecked, it's stupid that HP would put high quality parts in a computer and then dump in a ten year old garbage graphics card, but I've always been able to optimize my system to do more then it says it can handle, an administrator of Activision told me personally that there's no way my system should run far cry 5 but it does so I figured gta 5 would be the same, and I believe I am at or over minimum spec with everything but the graphics card so in theory it should run OK, not great but okay enough

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
And yeah the Intel HD 520 has my system bottlenecked, it's stupid that HP would put high quality parts in a computer and then dump in a ten year old garbage graphics card, but I've always been able to optimize my system to do more then it says it can handle, an administrator of Activision told me personally that there's no way my system should run far cry 5 but it does so I figured gta 5 would be the same, and I believe I am at or over minimum spec with everything but the graphics card so in theory it should run OK, not great but okay enough

Umm, no, that's not a ten-year-old graphics card. It's the standard integrated GPU on ultra-low voltage Skylake processors. This is a non-gaming laptop and has the parts of a non-gaming laptop. There's no discrete GPU in this laptop not because HP did something stupid; this laptop is precisely designed as a non-gaming, general-use budget laptop. An actual gaming laptop will have a discrete GPU and a CPU more powerful than an i3-6300u.

There's nothing "wrong" with your laptop. I have an HP two-in-one myself with an i7-7500u and the integrated HD 620 graphics. It's a great, flexible laptop with a long battery life that does a lot of my day-to-day activities on the go well. But it's not a gaming laptop. If I want to play a AAA game on a laptop, I have to use the i7-8750H with the GTX 1070, my other primary laptop. I use my HP more often, but there are some things it just can't do. I'm certainly not going to drag my Alienware to a press box.

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Yes I see where you're coming from but as you said not being able to get even stable 25 fps is not "not great but okay enough". That borders on 'unplayable' in many people's books. Not the verse of the gospel but for me too personally if I can't get at least 35-45 frames in a game it's really choppy and unplayable.

The Intel HD is quite weak for games like GTA 5. It's not really HP's fault. It's not like they're selling them as gaming rig.

You have a 2-core CPU running at 2.3Ghz. You can't expect it to run better than this in an open-world game like GTA 5 which as I said is not that well-optimized as far as graphics goes.

As I mentioned earlier you can try lowering some graphics settings (specially CPU-intensive ones) and see if that helps a little. Then again you can't really expect a miracle.

May 28, 2019
Well the short of it is at a 500 dollar price tag it should have a better gpu then what it has. And yes it's a stupid move made by the production company of the laptop, considering 5 years ago my standard issue Toshiba had a better graphics card, and it was almost 150 dollars cheaper.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well the short of it is at a 500 dollar price tag it should have a better gpu then what it has. And yes it's a stupid move made by the production company of the laptop, considering 5 years ago my standard issue Toshiba had a better graphics card, and it was almost 150 dollars cheaper.

So, you had a better GPU in a $350 laptop five years ago? Call me skeptical given that the cheapest laptops with any discrete GPU right now at Newegg are over $500 and there's only a single laptop under $800 there to even get a GTX 1050, which is the edge of what we could term a "gaming laptop."

You have a good budget laptop for day-to-day use. There's nothing wrong with that; one of my laptops is similar and it's terrific. But $500 doesn't get you a new gaming laptop and HP would be stupid to sell $1000 laptops for $500.

May 28, 2019
Yeah my laptop was okay before I ran that mod for gta 5 trying to stabilize the game, now it's slowed down, takes a minute to open a folder where it used to be instant, no malware, no viruses etc cleared cache and all sorts of things to fix it, when I open a folder now my disk and cpu peak at 100% it freezes and a minute later it unfreezes opens the folder and the performance drops back down for the cpu but the disk is constantly peaked at 100% usage, which Is what this post is all about originally

Apr 9, 2019
Yeah you are going to need to reimage that entire PC. Sounds like its infected and probably burst coin mining in the background now lol. Look up Proof of capacity mining..

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
That 100% usage when opening a folder is not normal for either CPU or storage. Might be a malware or mining code/script.

You can get applications like HD Sentinel or CrystalDiskInfo to check what kind your storage is (HDD/SSD) and check its SMART health status to see if it is in fact healthy. Freezing, apart from malware infection, can also be because something is using it 100% or because the drive might be faulty, such as bad sectors, and failing.

You can try taking a backup of the Steam verified game folder/files. Then do a clean installation of Windows and then reinstall the game from backup you take before Windows installation and see if that helps.

The post originally was about you installing a mod on GTA 5 and not being able to play GTA 5 on that laptop and still is. You went on a tangent about HP 'under-delivering' on a $500 laptop that's not meant as a gaming rig and people, including yours truly, replied accordingly.

May 28, 2019
And SATAN-IR I get 40 to 60 fps for like 15 minutes and then all at once the performance of the game starts crawling down to 1fps, basically what I need is to figure out how to speed my system back up and to stabilize the game, I'm not an expert but I'm not completely retarded either.